Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Flywheel Resurfacing

I've done a lot of them on the brake lathe at work. No big deal, unless it has a ton of hot spots burned into it. In that case I'll take it down the road and grind it on a Peterson flywheel grinder.

3 Phase, I completely agree. I was just pointing out the disappointment that sets in when you realize it all has to come apart....again..... Agree, best to use known good parts in the first place. A few bucks isn't worth the added pain of a redo under the vehicle.

I did think the mill grind might have some merit but not sure what pro machinists use for this purpose.

Good discussion all around.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    ..I'd buy a nice new flywheel and clutch pack+throw-out bearing/etc/etc. The last think you want to do is pull everything out again. In fact, any of those 90% labor, 10% part cost fixes are usually not worth trying to save on %10 part when you're risking the having to re-do the 90% labor again...
    Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Well that seems odd..l there are several mfg,s of flywheel grinders, so it seems to be a thing commonly done .
    Almost every auto engine rebuilders uses them.
    I think it depends on the condition. A flywheel that's been overheated and shows heat checks should be replaced but if it's
    clean there's probably no reason to replace it. As to doing it yourself it depends on what your time is worth. Our local auto
    machine shop charges about fifty bucks for a resurface which, considering that it will be properly ground, sounds pretty cheap
    to me.

As to a proliferation of machines for re surfacing you have to wonder how much demand there is nowadays. Most autos and
    light trucks are automatics these days--getting harder and harder to find vehicles with clutches. Even a lot of big trucks are
    going automatic and electric vehicles won't have them. I imagine that every automotive machine shop has a flywheel grinder
    but I wonder how much they use them.

Same thing applies to brake lathes. What you pay for a new rotor is so cheap that there's no need to turn rotors anymore.
    Seems like there's always a brake lathe for sale on Craigslist nowadays--they always go cheap because nobody wants them...
    Keith

The whole point (one of many) of having machines is to be able to do something... when we need it, not wait for others.
    Of course it helps if you know how to run your machines and are confident in your abilities..

I had one customer I really liked, he had a 3 in 1 machine, he would bring me something he thought he could not do. I would take some times , tell him how to do it m how to tool/setup on his machine.... and off he would go. No profit, but satisfying to me..
    He built what ended up as 3rd lightest ROADBIKE in the world at that time..mostly by himself, and for far less than the other guys..

Also on the lathe, i have lightened a lot of flywheels or modded them.

Yes.. All of us should also setup crude oil drilling and refinery systems in our back yards so that we don't have to wait for others to produce and deliver things like heating oil, or having to waste fuel driving our diesel or gasoline cars down to the gas station and wait in line/etc.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Yes.. All of us should also setup crude oil drilling and refinery systems in our back yards so that we don't have to wait for others to produce and deliver things like heating oil, or having to waste fuel driving our diesel or gasoline cars down to the gas station and wait in line/etc.
    Wrong forum, I am thinking.
    3ph, you seem to have machine tools, why fight using them for whatvthey are made for.
    We get it you may rather not or have other choices, but ....and you may have trouble believing it.. some of us enjoy the work.
    And the fact that we can do a job start to finish without stepping out of the shop..

If you are finding yourself no longer enjoying a hobby, maybe it's time to move on ..

Wrong forum, I am thinking.
    3ph, you seem to have machine tools, why fight using them for whatvthey are made for.
    We get it you may rather not or have other choices, but ....and you may have trouble believing it.. some of us enjoy the work.
    And the fact that we can do a job start to finish without stepping out of the shop..
    I do that to an extreme already in my profession which is unrelated to my machining hobby. I don't feel the need to always do that for hobbies.
    Work hard play hard

If you are finding yourself no longer enjoying a hobby, maybe it's time to move on ..
    I enjoy my hobbies because they are just that, my hobbies. Someone else's idea of how I should enjoy my hobby really has no value to me. You should not be affected or concerned by that either.
    Work hard play hard