Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to program a thread cutting operation on a CBC ?

Default How long does it take to program a thread cutting operation on a CBC ?

Sorry for the typo, this wont let me type CNC...
    Say for example a male thread, 5/16 x 18 and 1 inch long.
    Setup tool , Chuck a bar , using correct diameter, and get the first off done.
    How long approximately ?
    Last edited by 754; 12-05-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Well under 10 minutes. Some explanation : the threading tool being commonly used is probably already in the tool table so its already "calibrated" so it cuts to the specified depth. I use conversational for threads like you describe, I also have that program saved in the control. It is basically a fill in the blanks proposition, variables are pitch, length, how deep per pass, how many spring passes, starting and ending diameters. Because of the hard disk in the control, I keep the real common threads ready to go with a file for each, only need to set the length.

When you hit the "go" button, the thread will only take maybe 10-15 seconds to complete. Worth mentioning that a big benefit of cnc threading is that threading to a shoulder isn't a issue and is done at normal speed.

Another benefit is that you thread at speeds similar to turning, no need to go slow. Using optimum speeds improves surface finish.

Hopefully answered your questions.
    Last edited by Sparky_NY; 12-05-2018 at 11:03 PM.

I can see little programs to turn the thread. But what about reducing the piece or raw bar to the proper size first? Would that not need/want to be included for the time taken?

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Setup tool , Chuck a bar , using correct diameter, and get the first off done.
    How long approximately ?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    I can see little programs to turn the thread. But what about reducing the piece or raw bar to the proper size first? Would that not need/want to be included for the time taken?
    Only if it was asked for...
    Work hard play hard

Depends on the CNC and the thread. Internal with TC tapper... I have a 5/16 18 style premade in my styles library for one of my mills. It would take me longer to index the stock then anything else. External thread milling not much longer, but it would take longer to cut single form. Multi form would be much faster. On the lathe? Don't know. I don't have a CNC lathe, but if I recall Mach has built in lathe threading wizards if your machine has an index pulse on the spindle to allow for single point threading. Probably a few minutes. For that sort of thing on small threads I usually just do a partial thread with single point, then power thread with a die driver I made for that.

The first time doing any of that would take a lot longer, but it always does. If you are questioning somebody's price to thread a hole then bear in mind that just punching a tap into a hole is not the whole job.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Now if you are asking for a quote....

sam

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    My statements were for stock at the proper diameter. If the stock needs the diameter reduced, I use a MRC (metal removal cycle), its in the conversational. You specify start dia, end dia, depth per pass, depth for finish pass and length. In conversational, its "fill in the blanks" on a menu screen. Using the conversational, it would add only 2 or 3 more lines to the program used for the thread. Time? depends how much metal has to come off etc... If you start with 4" stock and want a 1/2" thread, its going to take a while... LOL

Note: same cycle can do multiple diameters on a single piece, just need to add the lengths and diameters of each, starting diameter remains whatever the raw stock is. Adding chamfers or radius between the various diameters is only a matter of adding the value, something like C=.1 will put a .1 chamfer.

Its really quite simple. Conversational is great, eliminates the need for G code use for most common operations. Much simpler.
    Last edited by Sparky_NY; 12-06-2018 at 08:30 PM.

All this erotic CNC talk makes me think I'm reading PlayTool magazine I can't wait to play with mine
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    All this erotic CNC talk makes me think I'm reading PlayTool magazine I can't wait to play with mine
    Isn't it amazing how things change..... a day ago you were going to "look" this weekend..... NOW you use the term "MINE"

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    Isn't it amazing how things change..... a day ago you were going to "look" this weekend..... NOW you use the term "MINE"
    One of them will be mine, just not sure which one yet.
    Work hard play hard