Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current situation shipping US to Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Yes, definitely send your package with USPS.....

Must be your house , poor guy can't wait to get that stinking Taco Bel crap out of his truck!
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Must be your house , poor guy can't wait to get that stinking Taco Bel crap out of his truck!
    Taco Bell delivery? I wish!!! I'd accept any form of Taco Bell delivery as long as I don't need a straw to eat it, I'd be happy.
    Work hard play hard

I agree that USPS is the way to go. Purolator air is not bad. When ever I order anything from McMaster Carr they always send it Purolator air and I get it at the door in one or two days. Usually costs around $20 Canadian. Because I am never really in any kind of hurry I just make a list and once it gets large enough I place the order.
    Larry

I suspect the worries are more about the Canadian postal service slow down/semi strike.

The stuff is still coming through but it can be quit slow at times.
    Larry

My wife just received a package of US made socks and there was duty payable, I told her she should challenge the charge.

Regarding UPS, I was forced to agree to UPS as the shipper on a small order of glass standoffs, the brokerage charges were more that the cost of the product and the shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin R View Post
    My wife just received a package of US made socks and there was duty payable, I told her she should challenge the charge.

Regarding UPS, I was forced to agree to UPS as the shipper on a small order of glass standoffs, the brokerage charges were more that the cost of the product and the shipping.
    If you think you over paid duty, there is a claim form, I believe it is B2G.
    Also if you have a CSA office near you, you can clear your own customs shipped by both UPS and FedEx.
    Tell the shipper to mark it 'Consigee clears own customs'.
    I had one get through and a UPS guy showed up at the door and wanted brokerage, I told him to take it back to the depot I would clear my own, I then picked up the invoice and cleared it myself, they then re-delivered it.
    Most instructions and details are on line, including fill-able forms on the CSA site.
    Max.

My wife just received a package of US made socks and there was duty payable,
    there could well be now given the counter moves so my general statement could have been errenous...I was referring to the norm for the last 20 years when everything was duty free

Yup I think we've all danced with the UPS/Fedex devil at one time or another.

Good luck with the challenge, I don't believe that is a duty free item.

There are two different rates depending on if it came from a NAFTA country or elsewhere. It is also dependent on which province you reside.
    Also,
    Please note the amount of duty and taxes owing is impacted by where the product was manufactured and not the location where it was purchased.
    The page linked to below is for travelers that have stayed out of country less than 24 hr. I believe.
    The personal exemption rates differ of course if your stay in the US is 24-48 hr. and 48 hr or more. However I do believe that this schedule does apply to you, based on personal previous past experience.

https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyag...t-cal-eng.html
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

US Gov had a crazy set of different rates, with no rhyme or reason.* Is there a rate table according to what the item is?

This obviously is machine parts. Would that have a different rate from other things? Not that it bothers me particularly, as I will not actually be paying it, but I am curious. Might it be necessary to label it "machine parts"? I have seen that done o packages coming to me, and am not sure exactly why, unless there was some advantage.

For instance, US had a 5 or 6% tariff on transformers coming in. But if you brought in the whole power supply, transformer and all (and fired the workers that used to assemble power supplies), THEN you got a reduced rate of only 2 or 3 % tariff. A completely backwards and stupid arrangement that actually encouraged moving work offshore, instead of what tariffs are supposed to do.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan