Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current situation shipping US to Canada?

Default Current situation shipping US to Canada?

Has anything changed due to Trump tariffs?

Got a customer for some rare collets , but he is afraid of the hassles of shipping.

Seems like before, I just shipped and the customer paid the duty.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I haven't ordered any tooling lately that was US made and them imported into Canada by me, but I know that all of the major machine tooling vendors still ship to Canada as before so if there was a major issue in regards to prohibitive duties I certainly am not aware of them. I know that there is a lot of pressure on Canada, both internally and externally, to raise the duty free threshold from it's current draconian $20, to at least $100-$200 if not more. I think this would make Canada a little more of a viable product when NAFT negotiations are held.

I believe the big news is the reactionary 25% tariffs being placed on raw materials like aluminum and steel, plus a 10% duty on certain food products.
    But I'll keep reading this one just in case I'm out of the loop.

In short I have not heard anything other than business as usual in regards to you shipping a few collets north.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

I thought it was only a protectionist tariff on items going IN to the US?

Just a note to do the poor bloke in Canada a favor and use USPS rather than UPS or Fedex. Both of those shippers charge a healthy "brokerage fee" for cross border shipments where USPS and Canada Post have a deal so there is no brokerage fees.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    I thought it was only a protectionist tariff on items going IN to the US?

Just a note to do the poor bloke in Canada a favor and use USPS rather than UPS or Fedex. Both of those shippers charge a healthy "brokerage fee" for cross border shipments where USPS and Canada Post have a deal so there is no brokerage fees.
    This!
    I think most here have already been educated by the couriers and have had to pay outrageous ransom fees, if it doesn't come by USPS it's usually a deal breaker for me.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Yes, definitely send your package with USPS.....

Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Yes, definitely send your package with USPS.....

]
    UPS does that, but they stand farther away when they throw it.

I think UPS does it because by the time the delivery person gets it, the package is round and looks like a ball, due to being thrown, kicked, and squashed under other packages while being sorted.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

X2 on what BC & Willy said.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post

Seems like before, I just shipped and the customer paid the duty.
    unless its milk there is no duty, however in both directions, you still have to clear customs. Despite zero duty they still need something to do, right? We do have to pay HST or in some provinces GST (neither are a duty, its sales tax and applies to all we buy) An unsavory carrier like UPS uses this to gouge with a long add on array of admin fees for clearing customs and collecting HST. USPS is the way to go, Canada Post collects the HST but their admin fees are modest

Doesn't do JT any good, but for Canadian's shipping south I've been using chitchats and am very pleased. They charge $1 then mail in the US so the postage is the actual USPS rate - and they have the US flat rate boxes at their stores
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 12-06-2018 at 01:59 PM.

UPS isn't as bad.. At least once they realize what's going on, they correct the problem

Work hard play hard

I would never even consider UPS or Fedex for this, they charge me for the whole trip, USPS is cheaper, since they only get it to the border, and then the international postal agreement takes over.

As for package damage, I think Fedex is the best, least damage. USPS is second, almost the same. UPS is 3 grades lower, they seem to regard all packages as requiring a penalty kick at least.

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking Canada had got fed up with the nonsense and imposed some more rules. Dunno why they would not, the whole mess is a major screwup.

3PL:

UPS is MUCH worse.... they enjoy damaging packages, and I think they do it as a sport. And then they refuse to pay.

I have met with their representatives about packaging standards, and they are ridiculous... They want armor plating... they actually told us that a package should be done so as to survive a drop of 15 feet from the conveyor to a concrete floor, and if you do not do that, it is improperly packaged, no payment. The actual industry shipping standards call for a far shorter drop test, 3 to 4 feet, flat and corner drops..

USPS rarely damages, and when they do, they pay.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 12-06-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan