Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A puzzle: How to secure worms on their shafts?

Default A puzzle: How to secure worms on their shafts?

This image taken from SDP-SI's catalog shows two worms. What type of pin is used for the metal worm: press fit, tapered, etc.? How are the nylon worms secured?

Roll pin?
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

I would tap both holes and use two set screws. Maybe also put flat spots on the shaft if you need additional grip.
    Work hard play hard

The nylon one will require careful consideration for anything but very light loading. Suggest a metal sleeve around the hub and pin thru both an easy reinforcement. Nylon will move over time and with moisture absorption.

You could opt for a tapered pin. But just as easy would be to put it on the shaft with some manner of industrial adhesive to hold it and then drill through the holes and shaft with a suitable size which is right at or slightly larger than the holes in the stub and then put a roll pin through both. By matching or very slightly "reaming" the worm's holes out a hair the roll pin will be a good fit for both and there won't be any play even if the adhesive did break loose in time.

I'm thinking that the nylon worms are not intended for anything involving indexing, higher load speed reduction or other higher HP or more demanding work. More likely just low torque load speed reduction.

Belt and suspenders approach is a spring pin through the hole and a snap ring in the shaft at each end.Pin to transmit torque and the snap rings to handle thrust.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Depends on application. The nylon worm is likely meant to be a press fit only, for light duty applications.

One of my sons 4x4 models has a pretty slick set up.. floating worm sandwiched between two coil springs and stops on far ends of springs. In the event of a jam, worm will compress spring in whichever direction and thus disengage from gear its mated to. Shaft is hexagonal as are id's of gears to accomplish drive.

I bought my son a bunch of small gear kits to play with, motors, wheels, etc. Then I was wondering where one of my storage drawers went. It's hard to get mad when he made this with it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HGJ0RVE
    https://www.amazon.com/EUDAX-100pcs-.../dp/B07D1PK5T3
    https://www.amazon.com/JISTL-Plastic.../dp/B00V66YJQI

Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrack View Post
    ... The nylon worm is likely meant to be a press fit only....
    This !

-D