Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A puzzle: How to secure worms on their shafts?

The nylon worm is going to be a press fit. The steel worms usually come with a single set screw installed, and a spot drill started at 90*. For most light applications the single set screw is adequate. Tap for a second set screw if needed. In both cases add some thread locking liquid to the threads. For a more permanent installation hold the worm in place with the set screw and drill at 90* for a spring type roll pin. Taper pins work, but are a bit tricky when working with the smaller sizes.

Personally I'd prefer a keyway broached down both worms and an appropriate key. Only needs to be a modest size.

After reading the replies so far and considering the problem here is what I think. First for the steel one I like the idea of set screws and flats-no dimple made by the point on the setscrew and more positive lock on the shaft. Loctite too maybe. For the nylon one- a pin through both sides of the hub and shaft, then a split collar, (two piece), to hold the pin in place and compress the nylon onto the shaft. The nylon should be a light press fit to start with too.

Three Phase,I would look into an Erector by Meccano building set for your son. He wouldn't have to taking your drawers then.

Thanks everyone. The hub on my 32dp worm is a little too small for a set screw, so roll pin it will be.

I was thinking about a different kind of worm:

The roll pin would work for both steel and nylon (and brass too) and there is little chance for it to work it's way out. I am assuming a metal shaft of course.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

I second the idea of a metal collar for the nylon worm. They are usually a press fit, but I've seen lots of them with a pin through the hub and shaft. I would use both. Could be a spring pin, roll pin, or simply a close-fitting pin if the collar is there to keep it in place.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

On my garage door opener, there is a roll pin I think, and a nylon worm, but it is not drilled to mount.
    It has a double notch on the end of the gear, it then slides on the shaft till the notches slide up again the pin.
    I think thrust is controlled by the housing.

I don't like the 2 sets screw idea , i think it could develop slop and start working back and forth..
    Last edited by 754; 12-06-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Like mentioned, every plastic gear I have seen (under a couple inches big) was pressed on or had some sort of glue/chemical bond to the shaft.

Also like mentioned I'd use a roll pin in the metal one.
    Andy