Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Firefox, Do They Actually Listen?

Default OT: Firefox, Do They Actually Listen?

I have a number of "plans" for sale on the Home Made Tools forum. A few dollars trickle in each month, but it is a way of getting some of my work available.

They use a bulletin board format that is similar to this board for their platform and the Plans For Sale forum in one of many there. The initial post, which is put up by the person who is selling that plan, contains a description of the tool plan that is being offered along with the links necessary to buy it. Perspective and actual buyers can post questions and comments in that thread. So, I make a habit of visiting my sales threads there every day to see if there are any new posts or questions. Since I now have a number of items there, the list of threads to visit is somewhat large and growing. And, like this forum, I have to scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the latest posts. I have tried other settings, but none of them seem to allow the latest post to be displayed at the top when the page is opened.

I load the whole batch of these sales threads at one time and it takes a bit of time for all of them to come up with Spectrum's oh so fast internet service. I got tired of Firefox constantly jumping back to the top of a page when I had already scrolled down toward the bottom; sometimes it would do this multiple times on a single page. My guess is that this happens when some element that is to be displayed near the top of the page arrives late and Firefox must make room for it where it is to appear. So Firefox does that and then JUMPS the display on my screen back to that point. This is most irritating when you are trying to look for new posts on a bunch of threads.

So I sent some feedback about this to Firefox on Tuesday. And lo and behold, today my screen does not jump back up as the page loads. It stays scrolled down.

Did they actually listen? Did they listen that quickly? Did they make a change to Firefox in general to correct this? Or did they somehow target my copy of FF for the change? If they did, I am impressed.

The real purpose of this post is that I would love to know if anyone else has noticed a change in Firefox's behavior in this regard in the past day or two. Did something really change or am I imagining things?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

No change here.. same as it ever was.

Sounds like a scrolling issue.. maybe mouse hw.

Poor website code causes that on several browsers.
    If any company had that quick and direct access to any software on my PC I would run a mile from them!!
    I have recently upgraded to FF 60.x from 45.x, as my tertiary browser. I haven't come across anything that's going to make me roll back yet, seems like change for the sake of it.
    If it aint broke don't fix it, I say. And I know modern hard drives are huge, but that doesn't mean they need to make software huge too.

Oh, and also there's normally an option to "Sort threads...by date...ascending"

No.

Oh and knowing Mozilla's development process, even if they did, and a dev happened to pick it up on day1 of submission and fix it immediately, it'd have to go out to the testing versions and nightlies for a month or longer unless it was a hyper urgent security issue, then it might only take a few weeks.
    But really, they don't listen, unless they already know about it and were doing it anyway or its about some liberal leaning issue they can make good PR from. Currently they're developing/implementing dns over http to "save you" from your dns providers being able to see your dns queries. Which is great, except we are our own dns server provider, and a lot of other places need that functionality for various aspects of their security solution also.

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    There is an icon that takes you to the last post:

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...8-3#post122350
    The 2 thread titles printed in bold text indicate they contain new posts. Clicking on the little blue icon to the left of the thread title should take
    you to the first unread post.

I don't think they listen to anybody. Besides they would have never corrected an issue like that the next day.
    If anything it would be corrected in the next update.

JL...

I used to have this problem with Yahoo after the big change a few years ago with Internet Explorer but not other browsers. I think it ljumped each time an ad was served.

They do listen. They may not take action, but they do listen.

You did not mention your OS version. There was a note on a board yesterday saying that Microsoft was moving from their home made web rendering engine (edge) to Google's Chromium. That will happen with one of their "daily" software patches. Maybe it was just a timing coincidence that you complained in the same time frame that they (MS) changed?

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)