Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taig CNC Mill Adventure

Default Taig CNC Mill Adventure

Ok, thought I would start a new thread about the mill setup, configuring the Acorn, first attempts of Fusion360 Cam, computer setup, workstation setup, etc. I might even at the end, setup a linuxCNC box for a comparison.
    These pictures are where I am at right now, which is nowhere. Again, big thanks to Bob for the stuff he sent me.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

It appears that TapaTalk is seriously degrading my photo uploads...

I went to Walmart today and picked up the HP slim line computer tower that costs $299. It has an 8th gen Celeron processor that scores very high on the single thread benchmarks. The Acorn/CNC12 combo requires 1000 for lathes, and 1500 for mills. The CPU on it is over 1800 on the benchmark. An interesting side note, the tower has a hardware serial port!!!
    For $299, I could not build it for that cheaply, then I would also have to buy win10 on top of that. I should burn a linuxCNC disk and see how it performs for that...
    Removed all the bloatware, configured it for the Acorn, was really painless.

Over next two days, I have DIN rail + accessories coming, 22" touchscreen monitor, Vesa swing arm mount, wires, etc.
    Hmm, still need a DB25 pass through cable for the Acorn/Gecko connection.

I'm going to watch. I'd like to learn 3 axis cnc eventually. I am sure it has been mentioned somewhere already, what is the typical price tag to get a taig to a running cnc state?
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    I'm going to watch. I'd like to learn 3 axis cnc eventually. I am sure it has been mentioned somewhere already, what is the typical price tag to get a taig to a running cnc state?
    As much as a small bed mill...

Progress so far... Worked on the stepper cables, wrapped them, and added the DB9 connectors Bob sent me. They are pretty cool, have a potentiometer on a PCB inside of them to set the current limit on the G540. Also installed my adjustable Vesa swing mount and keyboard holder, attached the Planar 22" 1080p touch screen.
    Tomorrow the rest of the stuff comes and I'll wire up the Acorn/G540 and maybe tram the mill and do some testing.

RB211, give that column a push to either side. If it moves easily, you'll want to disassemble it, clean the mating surfaces really well and then reassemble it. You may even need to add a piece of paper between the two halves.

More info on that issue:
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-on-small-mill

One more thing... that hex key that turns those 10-32 bolts? Keep track of it. You'll need it in daily operation of the mill.

Yes, I still need to tram it, and clean that mating surface. A part of me wants to install a taper pin to keep it from moving once properly trammed, or tig weld it.

An update. First time ever playing with DIN rails and wire housings. Have to say I really like it despite the added costs. Hold up right now is 3d printing some DIN rail adapters for the Acorn, relay board, and power supplies. The Gecko is going to be screwed down at the top right, 3d printing standoffs for that right now.

A Centroid Acorn DIN mount, printed in PETG...