Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Lathe Chuck Jaws

Default Question about Lathe Chuck Jaws

I had picked up a 10" Rohm Chuck at auction a few years back,but Jaws were missing.My freind had picked up a few pallets of Jaws at a Weatherford Machine Auction and in the whole lot there were these tiny jaws that fit perfect on the Rohm.

Most of jaws he got were huge and had the serrations I'm assuming for mount adjustment,he gave me sets of 3 of the two on right and 6 of ones center which were new.I want them for blocking set up on Mill especially when Head is rotated in horizontal position.Some of the Jaws were twice the size of the ones in pic,anyone use these?

Those jaws on the Rohm look like aluminium in the pics on my monitor, are they? The appear to be tenon fitting, lots of people make their own soft jaws for this type.
    As for the serrated top soft jaws, they come in lots of sizes with serrations in 1/16" X90 degree, 1.5mm and 3mm X60 deg that I know of. I have a 6 3/4" Pratt chuck which takes 1/16" serrated jaw tops. The master jaws are serrated to match and have tee slots like a mill bed to secure the top parts. Most cnc lathe power chucks are serrated style.

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    ...Those jaws on the Rohm look like aluminium in the pics on my monitor, are they? The appear to be tenon fitting, lots of people make their own soft jaws for this type...
    I think you'll find that they're steel--probably just sandblasted. It wouldn't make sense to make soft jaws with all those
    steps; they're usually just solid blocks of material with tenons on one face. The whole point of soft jaws is to have material
    to machine away; the jaws in the pic don't leave you anything to play with.

And I gotta say, Dale, that I am just amazed at the stuff you dredge up at auctions out there. I don't go to auctions around
    here very often mainly because there's very seldom anything that would interest me. On the other hand you're always finding
    neat goodies--I'm envious. Of course it means I'm saving some money but where's the fun in that?

Those big jaws in the picture are just that; big! Only thing to do is find a lathe that will take a chuck large enough to use them.
    You've got lots of room in the shop, right?
    Keith

Those jaws on the Rohm look like aluminium in the pics on my monitor, are they? The appear to be tenon fitting, lots of people make their own soft jaws for this type.
    As for the serrated top soft jaws, they come in lots of sizes with serrations in 1/16" X90 degree, 1.5mm and 3mm X60 deg that I know of. I have a 6 3/4" Pratt chuck which takes 1/16" serrated jaw tops. The master jaws are serrated to match and have tee slots like a mill bed to secure the top parts. Most cnc lathe power chucks are serrated style.
    The Jaws on the Rohm and the ones on the right were bead blasted with glass,all the Jaws came from a Shop that had 18 CNC machines.
    Quote Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
    I think you'll find that they're steel--probably just sandblasted. It wouldn't make sense to make soft jaws with all those
    steps; they're usually just solid blocks of material with tenons on one face. The whole point of soft jaws is to have material
    to machine away; the jaws in the pic don't leave you anything to play with.

And I gotta say, Dale, that I am just amazed at the stuff you dredge up at auctions out there. I don't go to auctions around
    here very often mainly because there's very seldom anything that would interest me. On the other hand you're always finding
    neat goodies--I'm envious. Of course it means I'm saving some money but where's the fun in that?

Those big jaws in the picture are just that; big! Only thing to do is find a lathe that will take a chuck large enough to use them.
    You've got lots of room in the shop, right?
    Yes Keith I had a lot fun from taking in some Auctions,especially when there are some smoking deal on oddball or stuff no body else wants.That Weatherford Auction was kinda odd as some stuff they just about gave away,100's of Micrometer's mostly Mitutoyo 1" to 48" sold for $20 in the cases.
    As far as getting a bigger Lathe,I still have to get this one figured out lol!

I am out of room in the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    ...I am out of room in the shop!
    BS--I've seen your shop...
    Keith

Hi,

I've used bunches of those style jaws. They are for power chucks found on CNC turning centers. You machine to suit your needs. The slot on the bottom fits into tee nuts in slots in the chuck. The serrations allow you to finely adjust the grip of the part. The jaws can be machined for through or pocket use.ID or OD.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

My 6 3/4" Pratt serrated is probably pretty old as it is manual, not power, made from sg iron. I have three sets of standard size jaws and several larger modified jaws with custom tee nuts as the securing bolt pitch varies. It is in excellent condition, with almost no signs of use.
    Have you checked the Rohm with it's new jaws yet?

Quote Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
    BS--I've seen your shop...
    Yes I'm running out room for Metal Toys,still have a Radial Drill waiting for a refurbish then my Drilling Machine line up will be complete.I do have to keep room for all the Farm Equipment when it needs attention which is too often lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by dalee100 View Post
    Hi,

I've used bunches of those style jaws. They are for power chucks found on CNC turning centers. You machine to suit your needs. The slot on the bottom fits into tee nuts in slots in the chuck. The serrations allow you to finely adjust the grip of the part. The jaws can be machined for through or pocket use.ID or OD.
    I kinda of thought it would be something like that as there were a lot of long T nuts with threaded holes, looks like about 20 mm course thread.
    My 6 3/4" Pratt serrated is probably pretty old as it is manual, not power, made from sg iron. I have three sets of standard size jaws and several larger modified jaws with custom tee nuts as the securing bolt pitch varies. It is in excellent condition, with almost no signs of use.
    Have you checked the Rohm with it's new jaws yet?
    I hope you don't hate me as the Rohm will be for Tig welding,I plan on building a tilting setup for this Chuck and a 18" four Jaw as well.I have been using the 18" laying flat but will design and build a set up where it can be tilted up to 90 deg.I did not check runout and it came in pile of scrap items from Auction that was just about free.

That Rohm is a top quality chuck, you could sell it on ebay for more than the price of a cheap Chinese one.

That Rohm is a top quality chuck, you could sell it on ebay for more than the price of a cheap Chinese one.
    I know their top of line Chucks but this has been abused and has lots of dings on it,I may get some dirty looks from the ones that know the qaulity of these.I will be able to put it use and save it from scrap yard turning it into razor blades.