Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT ^%$#@! box stores

Default OT ^%$#@! box stores

I swear that the Box stores are stocking according to the "fact" that "nobody fixes anything anymore".

Looking for glue recently at Lowes, I could find 40 kinds of CA glue to fix knick-knacks, but the selection of "real glues" was poor.

And, NONE of the box stores had a decent set of "specialty item" drawers. They had hardware, but the "specialty items" were now more along the lines of odd drawer pulls, etc. The old Builder's Square stores had decent selection, and when the HomeQuarters stores closed, I bought a good bit of stuff, oilite bearings, etc.

So, I also wanted an oilite bearing....one I had none of. I thought I might have a bit of trouble, because I need one that is 5/8 ID and 7/8 OD, most would be 3/4 OD. But I was surprised to find that Home depot and Lowes, had nothing of that sort at all.

Menard's might have had it, but their stores are so large that they need a map.... I never found any specialty hardware, nor any worker who could give directions to it. I just left. I dislike Menard's just because they are so hard to find anything in. For anything but lumber, I go there last.

Yep, nobody fixes anything anymore, and the hardware stores reinforce that. (The good old time store, that is rather far away, did have the oilite, but as I figured, they only had 3/4 OD.)

So, time to order it from McMaster. And try to recall what else I wanted from there, but did not want to order just by itself.....

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    And try to recall what else I wanted from there, but did not want to order just by itself.....
    In those cases I just place the items into the McMaster's cart, and they stay there till I'm ready to order them.

I would comment in agreement but, if I were to get started on the idiots that work in these stores, it would fill a whole page.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Couldn't agree more!!! As quote above that "no fixes anything any more". Just the price of common nuts and bolts makes a simple project expensive!!! Just paid 2 bucks for one 12mm X 20mm long cap screw at Ace Hardware. That's highway robbery! It all boils down to what sells, and how many turns (the number sold) per square foot. An oil lite bering, how many can they sell in a year? Yet. they complain how all of their business is going to the internet!
    Last edited by Tungsten dipper; 12-12-2018 at 06:32 AM.

The problem with these stores is they want to hire people that will work the cheapest. when Lowes opened here they had a bunch of retired trade guys that had experience but then they left because they didn't wanna pay for anyone with experience they'd rather hire kids for cheap. I can't even count the amount of people I've helped in Lowes and home depot when overhearing someone ask for something and kids say oh no we don't carry anything like that and I'm like yes you do it's two aisles over bottom shelf there are some knowledgeable folks but not many

Quote Originally Posted by umahunter View Post
    The problem with these stores is they want to hire people that will work the cheapest. when Lowes opened here they had a bunch of retired trade guys that had experience but then they left because they didn't wanna pay for anyone with experience they'd rather hire kids for cheap. I can't even count the amount of people I've helped in Lowes and home depot when overhearing someone ask for something and kids say oh no we don't carry anything like that and I'm like yes you do it's two aisles over bottom shelf there are some knowledgeable folks but not many
    Makes you wonder if Lowes considers how many sales are being missed by ignorance?

Not only box store but for years now automotive stores are doing much of the same stuff.

Don't even think about trying to find a rebuild kit for anything in a car any more. Then not only are they at the point of 'unbolt, throw away' bolt new part on' but they are at the point where "parts" are complete assemblies. You need a brake caliper (really just needed the rebuild kit but ok) well the calipers come "loaded" with springs, pads, clips, mounting bracket, hose, etc. Oh you need a ball joint? You got to buy the whole control arm.

I had a starter one time that was fine except for the helix. Couldn't get a helix anywhere for it. Would have been a normal part in a rebuild kit but no, got to buy a new starter for $200+.
    Andy

Wow! Really? I'm surprised you even looked.
    The best hardware stores within 30 miles have never carried a 5/8 x 7/8 oillite bearing for the last 30 years.
    Here I thought I was becoming a grumpy old man.
    Here is a quote for you - 'Between expectations and reality lies disappointment'.
    No 'we' don't fix things anymore, haven't for a long time, this isn't new to me.
    Take a very deep breath and LOWER your expectations A LOT. There I just fixed the world for you.
    I have had customers at box stores come up and ask me questions on how to fix things.
    "I know you don't work here but could you help me with......"
    THAT is the world we live in, get over it.
    Have a cup of coffee or whatever and be grateful that there is a McMasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Abner View Post
    Wow! Really? I'm surprised you even looked.
    The best hardware stores within 30 miles have never carried a 5/8 x 7/8 oillite bearing for the last 30 years.
    Here I thought I was becoming a grumpy old man.
    Here is a quote for you - 'Between expectations and reality lies disappointment'.
    No 'we' don't fix things anymore, haven't for a long time, this isn't new to me.
    Take a very deep breath and LOWER your expectations A LOT. There I just fixed the world for you.
    I have had customers at box stores come up and ask me questions on how to fix things.
    "I know you don't work here but could you help me with......"
    THAT is the world we live in, get over it.
    Have a cup of coffee or whatever and be grateful that there is a McMasters.

You hit the nail on the head! "Lower your expectations" and that is why we are where we are!! No, I'm not buying it!!!

"oilite bearings .627 Id" search in Amazon has the following link as the first item:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Oilit...arings+.627+Id

Genuine Oilite® (SAE 841) Sintered Bronze Sleeve Bearing 0.627 in. ID x 0.879 in. OD x 1.5 in. Length

$3.89+$5.35 shipping. The total sounds less than my minimum McMaster shipping charge. Each additional bearing adds $.35 to the shipping.