Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sign of the times:

Default A sign of the times:

Yesterday while in the city near me i decided to hit the scrap yards to see if i could buy some aluminum and brass cutoffs for small projects. (This used to be great pickins, -used to be!) Holy crap, almost none to be found. I managed to find one cut off of brass, 3 1/2 dia x 1/1-2 thick. After searching all the scrap bins, the one guy told me, so much industry has left, moved out, that they do not get good cutoffs anymore like they used to. Tons of extrusions, and sheet, but very few cutoffs. A sign of the times in industry.

I went to Sears the other day and wanted to buy a Commodore VIC-20. Not only did they not have any in stock, nobody knew what I was asking for. What is this world coming to!!
    Work hard play hard

A sign of the times in San Fran. Not necessarily where the businesses have fled to.

We still have some manufacturing here in So Cal and cut offs are available. What has changed is the pricing. Yikes. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    I went to Sears the other day and wanted to buy a Commodore VIC-20. Not only did they not have any in stock, nobody knew what I was asking for. What is this world coming to!!
    Its not a vic-20 , its bar stock ends , used every week , by shops all over the country.
    It's machining content, maybe learn about it..

The local scrap yards have all closed their doors to people who want to pick over the piles. "Insurance" is the universally given reason.

I still find stuff like that at sims metals on Monterey road. open till noon on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Its not a vic-20 , its bar stock ends , used every week , by shops all over the country.
    It's machining content, maybe learn about it..
    It's actually due to something called technology and innovation. Most folks are moving forward with it; however, many folks unfortunately get left behind and become completely disassociated like yourself.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
    The local scrap yards have all closed their doors to people who want to pick over the piles. "Insurance" is the universally given reason.
    Dan, you are probably one of the few exceptions, but "Insurance reasons" avoids have guys scrounging in the yard for hours and buying very little or nothing at all.

Sasquach, every single scrap yard in the region around Ottawa/Gatineau has been bought by American Iron and Metals, (AIM,) out of Montreal. As a consequence, ALL yards operate under AIMs rules-no sniping and no retail sales.
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec