Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A sign of the times:

My local scrap yard closed up. The other one stopped selling to the public. Probably a liability issue. There is a small one in a nearby town that still lets you scrounge through the barns for scrap, but they don't have much because all the industry has left the state.

JL............

I think there is one local scrapyard that allows people to browse but they never have much good stuff
    anyway, all others are now no access.

While liability is one reason--and, given the litigious nature of today's society, a very good one at that--I
    think a bigger issue is that today these operations are being run as real businesses. Efficiency is the key
    and it just doesn't work to have a bunch of people scrounging around for odd and ends. While I lament
    the passing of the "old time" scrapyard as much as anyone else I can certainly understand why it is so...
    Keith

There are several local manufacturing companies here I can go to for cut-offs including one scrap yard.

Hit up machining businesses, but most of them have contracts with 3rd parties to take away the scraps and some keep their scraps around for uses down the road. I have had minor luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
    The local scrap yards have all closed their doors to people who want to pick over the piles. "Insurance" is the universally given reason.
    Same here.