Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T. One word, Plastics (caution - depressing)

Default O.T. One word, Plastics (caution - depressing)

Anyone catch the last 60 minutes episode?

Watched it the other night and was astounded at their special coverage on "plastics" and all what were doing to the planet with it,
    First and foremost is the amount of plastics in the ocean and just how much havoc it is wreaking with just about every living creature out there, but for us it's out of sight out of mind, what blows me away is the experts in the fields projection that by the year 2050 the oceans will contain more plastic then they do fish!!!

gawd - the vast oceans! what have we done to our world?

they covered it extensively and also exposed the supposed plastic recycling efforts as a total fraud - turns out it's just actually a "feel good" thing for people to do and avoid upsetting the commerce and business as usual, capitalism at its "best",,,
    not even 10% of what we turn in is actually "recycled" and I use the term recycled loosely - because of that less then 10% it has been getting shipped over to china who has just been stock-piling it because there's so much, it's simply not practical to put it to use, and now China has recently stopped taking that in - so it's going to impoverished nations who have no intent on actually doing anything with it - it's just a cash cow for them with extreme consequences for everything and everybody in the long haul - but don't worry - at the rate were going the long haul is just right around the corner...

Man is also single handedly responsible for the decimation of fishing on the Grand banks. And then to top it off we also caused the whole seal hunt on the east coast to be halted and the newly burgeoning seal population is greatly slowing down the recovery of the fish stocks.

If there's one thing mankind is good at it is screwing things up. So learning through 60 minutes that many countries are still dumping their trash into the ocean thru your post is no surprise to me. It's freaking sad but sadly no surprise.....

The planet was doomed to destruction by the sun eventually going nova. But I'm sure we'll have drowned ourselves into extinction in trash long before that.

We all but stopped developement of clean power generation by burning garbage in the 1970's.The result were massive landfills to pollute the ground water,garbage barges to ship the trash overseas,billions spent on recycling schemes and now plastic being dumped in the oceans.

Time to go back to the future and use all that fuel that's going to waste.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

One thing to keep in mind is when they say "more plastic than fish", they mean numerically. IE, one piece of plastic, one fish. Two pieces of plastic, two fish, etc.

And since the overwhelmingly vast majority of the plastic in the ocean is pelletized feed stock- the raw pellets that are fed into the injection molders- "twenty million pieces of plastic" might equal maybe a quarter of a ton of total material.

It's also worth noting that the vast majority of said plastic in the oceans comes from eight or ten rivers in Asia- not that we don't dump enough of our own, but it's a literal drop in the bucket compared to the overseas manufacturers.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Doc why are we dumping in the unused raw stock?

Geeze as if the trash waste isn't enough - so we create it never to be used and then just dump it into the oceans? sorry but that does not make me feel any better... maybe even worse...

Plastics in the ocean...

So why does the vast majority of people believe that we, as a species, are not subject to the same fate of extinction as say trilobites?

Sentient or not if its going to happen it will.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_s View Post
    So why does the vast majority of people believe that we, as a species, are not subject to the same fate of extinction as say trilobites?

Sentient or not if its going to happen it will.
    Na, won't happen. "We'll" enforce an extinction tax to prevent it.

I've said from day one when they first started using those plastic grocery bags that they were going to end up being an environmental hazard someday.
    My reason for thinking this back then was I would see them stuck up in the tree tops, in bushes, blowing around in the wind. When I would go out hunting I would even see them up in trees and hedge rows in some pretty isolated areas that were away from houses and roads. They blow all over the place and don't break down. Even seen them in wood chuck holes, bits and pieces of them in bird nests etc. Found a dead fox one day that apparently choked to death one one.

JL................