Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool Machines you own or have owned.

Default Cool Machines you own or have owned.

One time at an auction I bought a Gould and Eberhart gear hobber, in working condition for 50 bux
    And a few sprocket hobs and few gear hobs, another 50.
    And another time a very nice DiAcro 18 inch brake it ended up in a school.

My buddy who I used to split a shop with it also got a lot of cool iron.
    A while ago he bought the rolls out of the heavy fab shop my brother worked at.
    The rolls were about 8 feet maybe below ground and about 6 feet above.
    They may have been about 14 or 15 feet roll length, not sure.
    But the cool part is they could roll 8 foot wide 2 inch plate, and thicker if you heated it.
    Not sure where it ended up or if he still has it..
    Lucky he now owns a crane company..

Lots of cool stuff went under the hammer at the auction we were at..

I used to have one of these...

It was without a doubt the coolest machine I ever owned.
    It was the automotive version of this man...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl3_VPOAFBs

This was a pretty cool machine:

This was also pretty cool. It is a "Universal Machine" that could be connected as various kinds of motors, AC, DC, induction, synchronous, etc.

And this was a DC generator that was part of the same system. I think I paid $50 for both, and finally gave them away.

And this transformer is a unique design that I came up with, using four toroid primaries with four turns of 1/4" x 1" bus bar, capable of about 3 volts at 2000 amps continuous (and pulses up to 20,000 amps or so):

one of these

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    one of these

Yes I think the coolest thing I own are the two walk in refrigerators we have in our pantry! Very cool.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Paul, tell me more about that transformer please. Did you build it for a plating application? And if so how well did it perform? Thanks and Merry Christmas. Regards, Jim

48' Grandy Marlineer built in 1963. Twin Caterpillar T/A's.

12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
    Index "Super 55" mill
    18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
    7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
    24" State disc sander

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    Paul, tell me more about that transformer please. Did you build it for a plating application? And if so how well did it perform? Thanks and Merry Christmas. Regards, Jim
    That transformer was built for a circuit breaker test set. My original design used three of the toroid cores, and had aluminum bus bars for the secondaries. But adding a fourth core, and using copper, made it much better. The outputs can be connected in parallel for 3 volts, series for 12 volts, and S/P for 6 volts. Each toroid is rated at 1.4 kVA, and they were off-the-shelf "kits" from www.toroid.com, about $100 each at that time (1990s).

I have planned to build a test set with higher output ratings, using some toroid cores that were actually used for some Staco 1520 variable autotransformers (Variacs) that had been used in a test set but were under-rated and became damaged. The published rating was 9.5 amps continuous at 0-280 VAC (2.66 kVA), but should have been rated about 6-7 amps. The problem was largely due to the design of the moveable carbon brush, which was thin and straight, rather than wedge-shaped like most others. Also, these test sets are often used at up to 10x nominal current rating for short duration pulses (100 mSec) for testing instantaneous trip, and at 95 amps the brush was severely overloaded and cause arcing and burning of the surface of the coils.

Some of the damaged units in various states of disassembly and conversion to transformer primary cores:

After disassembly, clean-up, and Mylar wrap:

They have an actual rating of about 2 kVA, or about 1 volt/turn at 2000 amps. The test set I designed, but never built, used twelve of these cores for a total of 24 kVA, or 6 volts at 4000 amps continuous, and I had planned to use tubular copper bus with liquid cooling. I even bought all the copper pieces I needed, and I bought my lathe and milling machine largely in order to fabricate the parts.

I have almost 6 inch Toroids I think in my Sansui amp.
    Far as I know they were transformer builders.

PAUL, how much did the copper cost ? It's scary prices these days..

Hey Paul,
    That's a cool little IH.
    Is it a "TD" model comparable in size to a D-2 Cat, or s it a gas rig? Late 1960's or early 1970's era I'm guessing .

Steve