Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cool Machines you own or have owned.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    48' Grandy Marlineer built in 1963. Twin Caterpillar T/A's.
    That sucker will burn more in fuel in a day than my kayak cost me to buy! I always think about what their fish cost per lb when I see guys heading out in their big powerboats.

My coolest machine is one of these Hamilton sensitive drill presses I got at auction for $35. Mine has a higher speed pulley ratio than this restored one. Terrific tool for pilot holes and tapping up to #10 in soft materials.

48' Grandy Marlineer built in 1963. Twin Caterpillar T/A's.

Very cool! Mine is a 44' Ocean Super Sport twin Detroit Diesel 6-71TI's. 15' foot beam, large salon, 2 full bathrooms, laundry, kitchen, 2 state rooms, 8kW generator, 2 zone A/C and heat, all modern electronics, navigation, 72 mile radar, auto-pilot, dual sonars, short wave radio, etc.

Work hard play hard

I think the copper cost about $350 in 2003. Probably about $600 now.

IIRC the dozer is a TD-340, diesel, 1965 or so. I paid $3100 for it in 1987. It ran OK, and the tracks were in good shape, but the idler wheels and rollers were worn out. It would have cost about $2000 to get fixed. I used it for a few projects, and sometimes I had to put one of the tracks back on. I wound up selling it for $1500 around 1992.

I like your Ocean. But I prefer Cats.
    12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
    Index "Super 55" mill
    18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
    7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
    24" State disc sander

I like your Ocean. But I prefer Cats.
    I prefer MTU's but the DD671's are so easy to maintain and they just run so well.
    Work hard play hard

If we're talking vehicles, mine would have to be the Toyota Land Cruiser. If it's workshop machines, then it's a toss-up between my home made drum sander, the hydraulic press, or the finger bender. And I sure like being able to bend 1/4 inch thick flat bar in the 20 ton bender.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

For a little while my coolest machine was my 2002 Prius. That was when they were selling about 15,000 cars a year in the US. They were pretty rare at the time.

For a while in the 70s and 80s the coolest was whatever motorcycle I currently rode. They ranged from 3 cylinder 750CC Triumph Tridents to a 3 cylinder 2 stroke Suzuki 750 "Water Buffalo".

These days the coolest is probably the one that I use the most. My cell phone is simply amazing in what it can do.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Motorcycle? For me it's the Honda CB400T.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Well speaking of those machines I wish I still had my Ducati Mach 1...

[QUOTE=3 Phase Lightbulb;1212062] 2 full bathrooms, QUOTE]

Who ever heard of a boat with a bathroom???