Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mills and lathes straight from China

Default Mills and lathes straight from China

Anyone ever go on Alibaba and look at prices on equipment straight from China as opposed to buying from an importer .many places used to require buying many units but now some will sell single units .I'm not planning to purchase but it's interesting to see some of the pricing found this mill for 3500 pretty sure it would run a bit more here. try to post a pic but I can't get it to work from a tablet can't seem to drag n drop in the album anyway here is one mill 3500 for 3000 of you buy 10 or more https://m.alibaba.com/product/606450...-original.html

One of the big differences between the various importers is quality control. Some put a lot of effort into it and others very little. If you buy direct from China, YOU are the only one who is going to be doing that and YOU may have to ship it back to China if it does not measure up. And a buyer of only one machine may not have much leverage in negotiating for a repair or replacement. An importer who buys dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of machines each year will have a lot more. And part or that higher price that you pay them is for warranty repairs and replacements.

And, of course, there's shipping costs.

I'm not saying don't do it. I am just saying you should be aware of the potential problems.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quality costs money, don't think you can get much quality in a new mill for $3500.

I wonder if anyone ever has done it.Its really buying in the dark.I wonder what the shipping costs and how much will be broken by the time it gets to your door.

I'd guess it would be $10,000+ (on top of the price) to get a single unit to your door. You can't just place an order and wait for it like on Amazon. You'll probably need an importer/agent to receive it after it goes through Customs, pay tariffs then arrange shipping to you. It will come in a mixed container that will have to be unloaded and separated. There will be a lot of hands to feed before it even gets on a truck in the US to be shipped to a terminal near you.

Many years ago I bought a Seig KX3 direct from Seig. Little Machine shop was not selling them yet. The KX3 is the Mach3 based CNC Mill.
    At the time Sir John S was involved in the importation etc in the UK and was happy with the units he was seeing. One arrived with a few problems that were obvious. I believe they were related to the tool holding. After many months of learning and frustration it was determined the the Z axis had a major problem that required a ground up rebuild , re-engineer. If I recall it was that on the dovetail the appearance surfaces were ground and the sliding surfaces were rough machined. I located at least another one with a similar issue. Life got in the way and 10 years later itís still in pieces and may never get rebuilt.
    After extensive discussions with Sir John we came to the conclusion that they may save special units and ship them to places like Canada where they know they are never going to be returned.

Lesson learned. I am convinced the majority of the KX1ís and KX3 are great little machines but if your get a ďspecial oneĒ and donít have an importer to do the quality control you are screwed. If I was a skilled machine rebuilder with a full shop of tools I could fix it but for now it sits on the shelf of broken dreams

Merry Christmas to all.

Dave

If you purchase a single machine many Chinese manufacturers ship you their factory rejects.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    I'd guess it would be $10,000+ (on top of the price) to get a single unit to your door. ....
    Probably not near that. A whole container ships from china for much lower than that, you would pay a fraction, and the remaining shipment to you probably would not add too much.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Read this and you'll see it can reach into the thousands quite easily on your first one-off shipment. It details all the steps and possible fees. And if Customs decides to do a detailed inspection on your "create", you pay the fee for that too. They may want to make sure you're not importing weapons. And don't forget the now 25% tariff. Not to mention the possibility of warehouse fees while it sits. That alone can get into the thousand$. Best to get a door-to-door quote but there CAN be fees on top of that.

https://cargofromchina.com/sea-freight/