Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mills and lathes straight from China

I have learned doing some business with China if you find someone where the two of you can communicate well and understand each other do a happy dance cause that doesn't happen a lot. I've gotten some people I know have no idea what I'm talking about and bs their way through just trying to rush you hoping you'll just hurry up and order. on the other hand I got a guy who understood me was super knowledgeable answering questions etc and was awesome to deal with which is awesome anywhere anymore it's magnified it you speak different languages

Maybe this could shift focus to places like Taiwan. I'm sure the shipping and customs problems are the same, but I'm sure you could snag a Tai-made lathe before Clausing, Victor, Bridgeport, etc have slapped their paint and stickers and 80% mark-up on it.

I was at a scrapyard the other day and saw bundles of 8mm threaded rod of three meter lengths.But I am talking lots.I asked the guy if I could buy some and he laughed and said I could buy a ton if I want .The story behind it was that the nuts did not fit. China said they would take it back but the purchaser must pay for the container to go back to china.How can you make threaded rod and the nut doesnt fit ?It cost too much to send back so it landed up in the scrapyard.

I would be wary. The chinese mentality is always they will do what they think they can get away with. I have seen it time and time again, a western dealer hammers into the factory rep the specs and how important it is that the product they are buying is made right and that they will all be tested before payment, faulty items will be returned. So the first batch arrives, everything is fine.

Great, next order is done and suddenly there are a bunch of out of spec items and rejects mixed in. They call up the factory rep and complain and send it back, new shipment arrives and everything is fine. The next time it begins all over again... Only if you have hired your own full time inspectors to be at the plant in China monitoring the quality can you expect good results every time.

It's the mentality over there, they would only bother checking it the first time, it's chabuduo, it's good enough. And so they think they can get away with it the next time and if they think that, they will try! It's the most caveat emptor society I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I was at a scrapyard the other day and saw bundles of 8mm threaded rod of three meter lengths.But I am talking lots.I asked the guy if I could buy some and he laughed and said I could buy a ton if I want .The story behind it was that the nuts did not fit. China said they would take it back but the purchaser must pay for the container to go back to china.How can you make threaded rod and the nut doesnt fit ?It cost too much to send back so it landed up in the scrapyard.
    Poor QC. On a machine we are building at work we needed to add some little shocks to cushion the end of travel for a plate. We had some pretty generic shocks from Ace Controls that came from mcmaster left over from another project and used those, 1/2-20 threads. Worked good so I ordered some more from McMaster. Same part number though a couple details on the design had changed over the years, should be no big deal, right? Well, the things would not screw into the 1" thick aluminum blocks that the others would. I start messing around and hold the new one and old one next to each other and notice that the threads do not mesh together, the newer one has its's thread pitch a little longer than 20tpi. I called up ACE control and talk to one of their applications engineers and they get back to me and tell me that they use a "long thread gauge" for these parts. LOL. We just shortened the length of the threads in the block to make it work. Now the running joke at work when something does not fit is that is must have a long thread gauge.

My wild ass guess, is the housing is made on a cnc lathe and maybe there is something wrong with the program and just dont want to fix it. No idea. Or a bad encoder on the lathe,

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
    It's the most caveat emptor society I know of.
    Yeah, well I spent the last 5 years working at an automotive factory here in Tennessee where the employees are constantly reminded that the company can close the plant at any time and move to where employees work faster and for less (sweat-shop?) and when someone gets hurt, they intentionally ignore the doctor's restrictions and put you on jobs that will aggravate whatever injuries you just healed up from to push you to quit.

It's like how McDonalds serves us unhealthy cheap crap because that's what we keep going back to McDonalds to get. China is the McDonalds of factories.

Just remember the great quote of P T Barnum.