Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap DRO

Did you ever get the head and arm tightened? Mine was tight but still had a little shake to it on occasion. If you look closely, you can see the black "cube foam" I stuffed under the head and over the arm.

Quote Originally Posted by daveo View Post
    I bought a cheap set off of CDCO machinery, no issues at all....
    Same here. One for my mill and one for my lathe. They have been working great for the past few years since I got them.

I've been using Ditron scales and monitors for 5-6 years now at work and at home.Good quality,decent price and the manuals aren't bad-

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/903...748268c0COyVrM

They are the only ones I found that offered long scales,1000mm and up at a resonable price.I just bought a 1400mm scale for a lathe at work the otherday for $215.00 delivered in three days.All the US vendors wanted $400+ for the longer length scales.
    Last edited by wierdscience; 12-27-2018 at 10:14 PM.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I also have Ditron, one I ordered directly from China, the other I believe is rebranded to Precision Mathews. A+ in my book

I guess I'm doing it wrong. I just ordered my second EL400 DRO from DroPros today. Will be ordering another when I get my lathe fixed up.

I looked at cheap DROs. I can't bring myself to buy one. A DRO takes a good chunk of time to get mounted, and when done properly is a pleasure to use for the life of the machine. If I want to get frustrated, I'll stick to manual dials and indicators.

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    I guess I'm doing it wrong. I just ordered my second EL400 DRO from DroPros today. Will be ordering another when I get my lathe fixed up.

I looked at cheap DROs. I can't bring myself to buy one. A DRO takes a good chunk of time to get mounted, and when done properly is a pleasure to use for the life of the machine. If I want to get frustrated, I'll stick to manual dials and indicators.
    different price range.
    ~1000 usd vs 200 usd is plenty of hobby money for many of us and personally I don't really care if they are veteran owned, american, speak english or ever answer my phone

If I had more money to spend I wouldn't spend it on rebranded chinese? units(dro-pros) but instead go for a real name brand like sony/heidenhain/accurite
    Last edited by MattiJ; 12-29-2018 at 01:07 AM.

Which most likely is made by Ditron.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    different price range.
    ~1000 usd vs 200 usd is plenty of hobby money for many of us and personally I don't really care if they are veteran owned, american, speak english or ever answer my phone

If I had more money to spend I wouldn't spend it on rebranded chinese? units(dro-pros) but instead go for a real name brand like sony/heidenhain/accurite
    I have an accurite on my big mill. It works just fine, but I prefer the operation of the dropro on my lathe. The magnetic scales, mounting, price, and customer service/support is why I went with dropro again for my millrite. I'm pretty sure I even ordered from the same guy I talked to 6 years ago.

P.S.
    I'm a hobbiest too. Maybe that's a bit of an understatement. Fixing/designing/building stuff is a way of life for me. It's just who I am and that isn't going to change. I may as well tool up for it.
    Last edited by Boostinjdm; 12-29-2018 at 03:36 AM.

I considered going with DRO Pros for mine, but came to the conclusion that the cheaper chinese version I bought on Amazon seems to be the same thing without the re-branding. I will say, the videos from DRO Pros were helpful in learning how to use mine, as the functions were exactly the same.

As to the OP and how I like my "cheap" chinese DRO - I just wish I'd got one sooner.

I purchased a three axis DRO for my mill from Amazon from the seller Selene Allure. It was one of the most affordable I found and worked great but one of the scales failed after about 9months. The Amazon seller was still in business, responded quickly, and sent some detailed troubleshooting tutorials(they were quite knowledgeable and obviously weren't just drop shipping stuff). When troubleshooting failed to find the issue he sent me a new reading head for free.
    I'm ashamed to admit it but foreign customer service is getting pretty darned good. One might say a USA made scale would never have failed in the first place but we all know that isn't true and what would the price be for a replacement? Free? Doubtful.
    I read somewhere that these scales are fairly bulletproof so I have high hopes I had a dud and these will last a long time.
    Dave