Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap DRO

Default Cheap DRO

any one use any of the cheap 200-300$ dros off Ebay reports good or bad Thanks ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    any one use any of the cheap 200-300$ dros off Ebay reports good or bad Thanks ken
    More than a few hobbyist use those and usual complaints are about total nonsense manual.
    Optical linear scales are also pretty bulky for installation but this applies also for brand name optical scales.
    Magnetic tape strip scales are lot more compact but less common in this price range.

I just ordered a kit from HXX store in aliexpress, 215 euros with two 1 micrometer scales. This is cheapest 1um kit so don't expect miracles.

HXX store also has magnetic tape scales:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/magn...AbTest=ae803_3

specs are bit unclear but maybe they will ask what resolution you want after you order. I had to specify scale lenghts, electrical plug type(EURO/US) and intented use (Lathe/mill/other) after I placed the order to aliexpress.

I just ordered one, from ebay. Got the 5um standard glass scale for the Z and a 1um scale for the X on my lathe. $205 with free shipping via DHL.

Now the bad news... shipped in 2 packages, first delivered yesterday, the second one has been in 3 different states over the last 24hrs, NONE of them the correct state ! Hopefully it will deliver soon.

Although the manuals are poor, there is a ton of youtube videos on them and forum posts with all the information needed. I got the manual in that first box, it is a poor translation but not that hard to decode.

Had it all delivered on time, it would only have been 3 days from china to me.

I bought a cheap set off of CDCO machinery, no issues at all....
    Feel free to put me on ignore....

I bought the cheap seats too for my mill. As already mentioned, the manual (or lack thereof) is typically the only fault with them. But so many of them are alike, you can print a manual from the interweb to get by. And there's plenty of YouTube stuff out there now.

A note to make your wise; You will have to give the length of the scales you want. Be sure you understand how to measure for the scales. Some vendors want total length some want travel length. There is a HUGE difference. Measure accurately, in millimeters.

Last edited by CCWKen; 12-27-2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added Pic

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    I just ordered one, from ebay. Got the 5um standard glass scale for the Z and a 1um scale for the X on my lathe. $205 with free shipping via DHL.

Now the bad news... shipped in 2 packages, first delivered yesterday, the second one has been in 3 different states over the last 24hrs, NONE of them the correct state ! Hopefully it will deliver soon.

Although the manuals are poor, there is a ton of youtube videos on them and forum posts with all the information needed. I got the manual in that first box, it is a poor translation but not that hard to decode.

Had it all delivered on time, it would only have been 3 days from china to me.
    Every time I hear the word cheap I cringe. I thought the bad news was it didn't work.

JL............

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    Every time I hear the word cheap I cringe. I thought the bad news was it didn't work.

JL............
    I got the same one CCWKen pictured. They get excellent reviews (except for the manuals). Although there are many sellers with them, the actual manufacturer sells on ebay, that is where I ordered from.

Mine works great. Here are the 3 videos I did of it on my mill. FYI I purchased this unit with my own money and didn't receive a dime from anyone (A number of Youtubers anymore are often given a significant amount of compensation for doing reviews). I would buy another one. But I'm a home hobby shop and that's pretty much it. If I was a daily job shopper I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Mitutoyo or equivalent as I do think these units are of dubious quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G23Q_p3p4dM
    Last edited by enginuity; 12-27-2018 at 07:08 PM.