Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cheap DRO

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Got my DRO and I really think I should have ordered the slim magnetic scales
    Oh well, this was expected but mounting the crosslide scale sucks big time.

Manual was actually very understandable english but bit straightforward with some of the procedures.
    https://i.imgur.com/ZJeHLsO.jpg
    Looks like you got the same manual I did.

Are you putting this on a lathe? I'd like to put one on my lathe too, the same model I used on the mill would be fine, except for the size of the scales; they're just too big to mount anywhere convenient. I'd even like to have a small third axis for the compound, but there's no way one of these big optical scales would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
    I usually visit Busy Bee tools in Pickering Ontario whenever I go for a dentists appointment.
    When I went in 2 days ago I noticed they had Igaging readouts on sale, I bought 2, a 12" and a6" for the grand total of 117$ Canadian.
    They are now fitted on my Myford ML10. in place of the 1" travel dial gauges I used previously.
    I realise they are NOT first quality items, but from the specs and checks I did I expect that they will fill my needs adequately.
    I will report on any problems I meet. Regards David Powell
    I have those too but they randomly skip .200" when the motor is turned on or while running

Default So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by martik View Post
    I have those too but they randomly skip .200" when the motor is turned on or while running
    I have used them for a day of hobby activity, The slight delay in the readout showing the movement took a little getting used to
    . I have had no skipping, even though I am using a DC motor powered through an electronic control unit less than 6" away from the readouts
    When I have any problems I will report them here.
    Regards David Powell,

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Looks like you got the same manual I did.

Are you putting this on a lathe? I'd like to put one on my lathe too, the same model I used on the mill would be fine, except for the size of the scales; they're just too big to mount anywhere convenient. I'd even like to have a small third axis for the compound, but there's no way one of these big optical scales would fit.
    Ahem..
    https://i.imgur.com/qQBJEZa.jpg

I got this budget house brand that precision matthews carries. I figured at least that way I have someone to go to that's familiar with them if they have any problems. the manual isn't that bad if you follow this link on their site you can download the manual to look it over. I just got it so I can't say much about it but I like it so far I'm still learning how to use it https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/dropmm10x22/

[QUOTE=CCWKen;1214468]No USB port on mine. It's probably 10 years old or more. I bought it way back to use on the lathe cross feed but it was too large. Like 3ph, I rediscovered it in a cabinet and mounted it to the BP mill. I can zero mine, run the quill down to touch off on a part then come back up and the zero is gone. If I run it down to the part again, it has a different reading. I know alignment is critical and I've done that with a test indicator but still no joy....

CCWKen:
    If your referring to a digital caliper style of indicator - have you replaced the battery? I have a couple of brackets that hold a 6 inch caliper to the Bport quill and that caliper gets flakey when the battery gets low (does not flash the display like my other calipers when the batt is low). I keep a small piece of masking tape folded over on itself (double sided) to mount the caliper battery to so that it does no run down during longer periods of inactivity on the mill.

Looks like Matt has it figured out on the lathe. I suppose there are some instances when one might want that carriage space back but not too often in my case.
    I know it's old school but has anyone tired of the battery issues on the quill "scales" tried an import dial caliper. I have one I think that's 24" long that never gets used. Rig it up right and it might be more reliable. Or no.
    Dave
    KC

I got one of the cheap DROs from Amazon. I am trying to figure out how to mount the scale to the table of my RF45 without blocking the oiler on the back of the table. If I omit the guard for the scale I think I could mount it high enough to clear the oiler. I don't think I want to leave the guard off. Anyone have any suggestions? I considered drilling through the table and putting a ball oiler on the top of the table but I really do not like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dmar836 View Post
    Looks like Matt has it figured out on the lathe. I suppose there are some instances when one might want that carriage space back but not too often in my case.
    I know it's old school but has anyone tired of the battery issues on the quill "scales" tried an import dial caliper. I have one I think that's 24" long that never gets used. Rig it up right and it might be more reliable. Or no.
    Dave
    KC
    Decided to mount the scale to tailstock side after all. Not kosher by any means but no need to worry abou chuck jaws and installation is more compact. Need to re-locate two oil zerks tho.
    And read-head mounting surface is anything but flat, my plan is to bed it with steel epoxy. Use temporary piece of glass/steel/alu plate clamped to another reference surface to flatten the epoxy surface. That way I can get parallel and flat mounting surface really easily.

DAMN!

Why I haven't installed DRO already earlier?

Sharp DCGT inserts and DRO make it easy-peasy to turn shafts to within 0.005mm. (ignoring micrometer absolute accuracy here)
    Took series of test cuts aiming for every half millimeter and the worst result measured 0.004mm oversize.