Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 259

Thread: Why even bother anymore with manual machines?

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Southwestern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    . Essential for many things.

    .
    Necessary in our modern, speed up, crappy world, yes but not essential. All most everything that can be made on a CNC mill can be made on older (not necessarily manual ) machines. There where tracer mills, four axis mills, gang mills etc. that did the same things back "in the day". If you think that something complex like a turbine impeller can only be made on a CNC machine then how do you explain that they where milled before CNC existed 'cuse they where. You also had automated non-CNC lathes that could bang out parts all day long without any attention except somebody loading the automatic feeder once and awhile. They only do it faster and take away jobs.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

    Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NW Illinois USA
    Posts
    660

    Default

    I personally have and use a vintage drafting table. I also have considerable solid modeling experience from my past career. Now retired.

    Only when I have a need I can't solve with a pencil will I consider my own CAD system. Pencil always works. Does not need electricity, internet, upgrades, virus protection, etc.

    Remember: It's the archer, not the arrows.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Kelowna BC
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    I am the processor that controls the movement's of my machines..

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strokersix View Post
    I personally have and use a vintage drafting table. I also have considerable solid modeling experience from my past career. Now retired.

    Only when I have a need I can't solve with a pencil will I consider my own CAD system. Pencil always works. Does not need electricity, internet, upgrades, virus protection, etc.

    Remember: It's the archer, not the arrows.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    4,140

    Default

    This thread is freaking retarded.
    Time would be better spent arguing about beer or sports.
    I guess we found the pigs who like to wrestle in the mud
    if nothing else.

    -D

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anderson SC
    Posts
    1,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    Necessary in our modern, speed up, crappy world, yes but not essential. All most everything that can be made on a CNC mill can be made on older (not necessarily manual ) machines. There where tracer mills, four axis mills, gang mills etc. that did the same things back "in the day". If you think that something complex like a turbine impeller can only be made on a CNC machine then how do you explain that they where milled before CNC existed 'cuse they where. You also had automated non-CNC lathes that could bang out parts all day long without any attention except somebody loading the automatic feeder once and awhile. They only do it faster and take away jobs.
    I think you nailed it, all those complex parts were made back "in the day" before cnc. There were a LOT various machines, some very specialized, some which you mentioned. Casting was also a go-to for some complex pieces.

    Now, with cnc, a shop can make all those pieces with just 2 machines, a cnc lathe and a cnc VMC. Specialized tooling like radius cutters and such are no longer needed. The cnc's routinely do operations that required a dedicated machine years back. Its quite amazing what can be done with just a single endmill.

    I recently cut a set of helical gears on my bridgeport using the 4th axis. It was my first try ever cutting any sort of gear and they came out perfect on the first try. Only one tool was used, a 1/16 endmill. The gears are installed and operating nicely. I am a home shop and have under $1000 in that bridgeport grand total.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,116

    Default

    Poor little kids tuning in to learn something on the site, then busting out crying "Mommy the machine people are fighting again" waaaaahhh waaaahhhhaaahhh

    hey I got an idea - why not also separate the remaining manual machine guys who like to read their handle increments and put them against the DRO guys? DRO guys are cheaters after all, and the incremental dial guys are probably so frail you could push them over with an aluminum swarf chip,

    then after we get that crowd alienated from each other we'll start sub-categorizing the CNC pholk, maybe even the paper "chad" player piano type - again not too many of them poor bastards left - so make quick work of them and then move on to the analog VS digital guys, then break down all the digital guys into different "brand names" and all the various programs to help with the programming,,, then after nobody can smile because everyone is missing at least one front tooth, we'll send little Timmy to bed to have even more nightmares about the humble "machine people" and how well they all get along and what a wonderful group it will be for him to join...

    bottom line is were all one and the same - the only thing we should be bagging on is the "shaper" people - shapers don't belong anywhere but Fred Flintstones shop --- show me a shaper in anyones shop (who you would consider "sane") that does not have a thick layer of dust on it,,, they are either being bought by people who don't know any better - or being sold by people who didn't know any better at the time but now do, all the other ones are doing what they do best - collecting dust...

    I understand we have to fight to improve ourselves - so lets start by ousting the shaper people... and get some harmony back in this group!!! Signed; Colonel Sherman T. Potter.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,585

    Default

    Uhm... Yeh... I'm going with the CNC option. I grew up around computers, electronics with soldering iron in hand. To me, electromechanical feels so natural, so awesome, so everything. I am only speaking for myself, but watching CNC do what I programmed it to do is so much more fun and rewarding. Next project is swapping the 12x36 lathes and CNC'ing my 8x14. Oh, and the little Taig will be making some parts too. Ordered a couple threadmills.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Poor little kids tuning in to learn something on the site, then busting out crying "Mommy the machine people are fighting again" waaaaahhh waaaahhhhaaahhh

    hey I got an idea - why not also separate the remaining manual machine guys who like to read their handle increments and put them against the DRO guys? DRO guys are cheaters after all, and the incremental dial guys are probably so frail you could push them over with an aluminum swarf chip,

    then after we get that crowd alienated from each other we'll start sub-categorizing the CNC pholk, maybe even the paper "chad" player piano type - again not too many of them poor bastards left - so make quick work of them and then move on to the analog VS digital guys, then break down all the digital guys into different "brand names" and all the various programs to help with the programming,,, then after nobody can smile because everyone is missing at least one front tooth, we'll send little Timmy to bed to have even more nightmares about the humble "machine people" and how well they all get along and what a wonderful group it will be for him to join...

    bottom line is were all one and the same - the only thing we should be bagging on is the "shaper" people - shapers don't belong anywhere but Fred Flintstones shop --- show me a shaper in anyones shop (who you would consider "sane") that does not have a thick layer of dust on it,,, they are either being bought by people who don't know any better - or being sold by people who didn't know any better at the time but now do, all the other ones are doing what they do best - collecting dust...

    I understand we have to fight to improve ourselves - so lets start by ousting the shaper people... and get some harmony back in this group!!! Signed; Colonel Sherman T. Potter.
    Abom79 is having fun with his shaper, and I've never seen CNC anything on his channel.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Abom79 is having fun with his shaper, and I've never seen CNC anything on his channel.
    Can't you see where all this animosity is coming from? it's actually the shaper people,,, somebody has to get thrown under the bus so it might as well be the ones who really are not machining anything - whittling is more something you do with wood not metal...

    and yeah you can do it with metal - as long as you still call it "whittling"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •