Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Why even bother anymore with manual machines?

I was never happy with carbide, always used HSS, then one day I tried CCGT and CCMT tooling. Works for me, especially once I get cnc going on the small lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    If the power grid blows up, I'm pretty sure getting metal working machines running would be about the lowest priority. Things like food, water and such would be the big problem.
    Your priority would be not getting killed by others looking for what you might have but assuming you survive, machine tools for repairing what ever equipment you can cobble together to grow food etc. will be necessary. It is the inventive backyard engineers used to working out of a scrap yard that will have the best chance.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    This is such a crappy argument. Are you going to make your own carbide inserts? HSS blanks? Run your own steel mill? Our hobby is so incredibly dependent on established infrastructure that all of your consumables will become more precious than platinum, gold, etc... No one is going to be machining parts in such a situation, you’ll be hunting and gathering.
    Again the inventive guy survives, particularity the one with the oldest type of equipment and work practicesl like old manual machines. Forget carbide and use HSS when that runs out then use old files, which is what they did in the good old days before HSS, when burdened with cheap bosses who wouldn't spend money on tool steel bits. Need something to machine hard steel, used cast iron that is hardened. Old timers used it to cut through hard spots in cast, which is so hard that carbon steel and HSS won't touch it. Find some Stellite welding rod, if you are able to weld and make Stellite tool bits. If you have the will to live then you find a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    38.2A @ 243V during the afternoon.

Assuming that it was installed just before the crash and wasn't shorted out by a solar flare or whatever crashed the grid, you will have about 20 to 25 years of power, unless the converter craps out, which they do, then you got nothing. Water power would be better and last much longer assuming you have the skills and a good water supply, to cobble it up.

If Bob La Londes warlord is running around then being useful with skills and equipment is a good way to stay on his/her good side.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    Your priority would be not getting killed by others looking for what you might have but assuming you survive, machine tools for repairing what ever equipment you can cobble together to grow food etc. will be necessary. It is the inventive backyard engineers used to working out of a scrap yard that will have the best chance.

Again the inventive guy survives, particularity the one with the oldest type of equipment and work practicesl like old manual machines. Forget carbide and use HSS when that runs out then use old files, which is what they did in the good old days before HSS, when burdened with cheap bosses who wouldn't spend money on tool steel bits. Need something to machine hard steel, used cast iron that is hardened. Old timers used it to cut through hard spots in cast, which is so hard that carbon steel and HSS won't touch it. Find some Stellite welding rod, if you are able to weld and make Stellite tool bits. If you have the will to live then you find a way.

Assuming that it was installed just before the crash and wasn't shorted out by a solar flare or whatever crashed the grid, you will have about 20 to 25 years of power, unless the converter craps out, which they do, then you got nothing. Water power would be better and last much longer assuming you have the skills and a good water supply, to cobble it up.

If Bob La Londes warlord is running around then being useful with skills and equipment is a good way to stay on his/her good side.

i disagree - if everythings a target then be the gun,

all people who actually have their act together to build/grow/create survive will then become targets themselves - the real survivors will be the ones that can easily take it all away from them in a split second... yeah maybe having "skills" will keep you alive for awhile - if you want to be a slave to some POS,,, some massive solar array will be an instant target unless you plan on backing it up with reality (guns) but don't forget - you have to defend 360 degree's 24/7 and alls they have to do is wait for you to come outside just once - or smoke or burn you out...

hate to be so negatory but things will get so ugly you sure won't be worried about whether or not you have carbide or low speed squeal...

PUBG becomes reality...

Yep solar arrays will be one of the first things that will get taken..
    Even if they have to kill you to get it..
    Machine tools on the other hand and blacksmithing is different , that may force you to work for them, but its better than losing your good stuff and getting executed because they don't need you to run it..
    BUT THE cNC guys , they May leave you alone..

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Machine tools on the other hand and blacksmithing is different , that may force you to work for them, but its better than losing your good stuff and getting executed because they don't need you to run it..
    Tony Stark is a CNC guy... Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    it will get unspeakably ugly, the CNC lathe guys will be the first to go cuz lets face it - their about useless anyways, the CNC mill guys will be kept around to write "special torture programs" so they can strap people down on the tables and use .010" interrupted "skin cuts" at designated area's in order to get them to talk of where they stashed their food and stuff like that... on the old manual mills wrists will be bound to R.tables and handles will be cranked, no special expertise to do that so I don't plan on clutching on to my equipment like grim death - i will be pulling up stakes and moving on...

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    it will get unspeakably ugly, the CNC lathe guys will be the first to go cuz lets face it - their about useless anyways, the CNC mill guys will be kept around to write "special torture programs" so they can strap people down on the tables and use .010" interrupted "skin cuts" at designated area's in order to get them to talk of where they stashed their food and stuff like that... on the old manual mills wrists will be bound to R.tables and handles will be cranked, no special expertise to do that so I don't plan on clutching on to my equipment like grim death - i will be pulling up stakes and moving on...
    You know, wouldn't be the first time our species faced mass extinction... Wonder how many times our history has already been rewritten?

First thing I would do is lock my doors and put up the "no guns allowed" signs on my house.
    Andy

i disagree - if everythings a target then be the gun,

all people who actually have their act together to build/grow/create survive will then become targets themselves - the real survivors will be the ones that can easily take it all away from them in a split second... yeah maybe having "skills" will keep you alive for awhile - if you want to be a slave to some POS,,, some massive solar array will be an instant target unless you plan on backing it up with reality (guns) but don't forget - you have to defend 360 degree's 24/7 and alls they have to do is wait for you to come outside just once - or smoke or burn you out...

hate to be so negatory but things will get so ugly you sure won't be worried about whether or not you have carbide or low speed squeal...
    Your not wrong but my comments where more in the "it's 10 years later" where things have calmed down some because most people are dead and the survivors need each other again.

Tony Stark is a CNC guy... Just sayin...
    Tony Stark ain't real!

You know, wouldn't be the first time our species faced mass extinction... Wonder how many times our history has already been rewritten?
    There have been 5 (known) ELE's before humans arrived 65,000,000 year's ago was the last one but there was a least one, after humans arrived, event where because of an earlier climate change (yes climate change happens all the time, geological time that is. Know why there are not any mastodons walking around, climate change. It happens deal, with it) the population of humans on the planet dropped to about 3000. And yet we came back to screw the planet up once more because of another more favorable climate change. Maybe the human race is an ELE.

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    First thing I would do is lock my doors and put up the "no guns allowed" signs on my house.
    Notice to all rampaging hoards "easy Pickin's.

Where to. It will be just as bad anywhere you could go. Think heading for the hills or some other desolated spot will save you, what about the people that got there first.

Many years ago I was reading (yes I can read) an article about a guy who had prepared for the end, this was way before it became popular. His idea was dig deep and hide and he had a notice on his gun cabinet that said "if you have to use these you ++++ed up. That dosen't mean he won't need tools, machine tools in particular if he got it right.
    Last edited by loose nut; 01-01-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/