Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping to far away places

Default Shipping to far away places

Have to ship some machine parts to Australia, and I am actually shocked at the cost.

So far I tried USPS, because the others do not have any way to do ballpark quotes, and I do not yet have the city, street and address that Fedex and others seem to require.

To get about 8 lb shipped is apparently just about 100 bucks, with not much discount if you do not need fast delivery. Options for slower shipment are not obvious, to say the least, the slow boat is still only 10 days. Every option I was presented with is some variety of priority mail (there seem to be about 5 kinds of "priority mail".

It is not to the point that the shipping is more than the part cost, but sheesh, it's at least in the same general area. It makes the entire deal more or less not worth the effort.

Is Fedex etc likely to be less total?

My experience has been that they are often MORE cost, and a good deal more hassle for the recipient.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I suppose it all depends how you look at it. I think you guys in the States are a bit spoiled--you've got a first
    class domestic shipping network that can get smaller parcels just about anywhere in the country for relatively
    low prices. But once you cross an international border things change pretty dramatically. As much as I'd like
    to I rarely purchase anything online from the States because shipping costs usually erase any savings I might
    make--in the end a lot of stuff can be purchased up here for not a lot more than what I'd pay for it down there
    when the shipping is added in. Personally I kinda think that 100 bucks to get 8 lbs. from the central States all
    the way to Australia is a pretty good deal...
    Keith

Try DHL

Well, the USPS needs "only" to get it to the border of the destination, the postal agreement says the destination post handles it from there, free.

China takes advantage of that, so shipping from china is often "free". Don't be talking about the US having it good, we have to pay for a flood of packages from china. THAT poor third world country has a super deal.

Anyhow, I will probably just decline the honor, not worth it.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Last time I did it I used this-

https://postcalc.usps.com/

Looks like the medium flat rate box (20lbs) is $79

IIRC the clerk at the post office said normally "surface economy" was the cheapest international rate,but they didn't offer that service to Australia.

I do know that UPS was the most expensive last time.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Well, the USPS needs "only" to get it to the border of the destination, the postal agreement says the destination post handles it from there, free.

China takes advantage of that, so shipping from china is often "free". Don't be talking about the US having it good, we have to pay for a flood of packages from china. THAT poor third world country has a super deal.

Anyhow, I will probably just decline the honor, not worth it.
    It also helps that we still have a massive trade deficit with China.There are any number of direct container ship and cargo flights headed this way as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    It also helps that we still have a massive trade deficit with China.There are any number of direct container ship and cargo flights headed this way as we speak.
    maybe one of the empty ones could take Jerry's package on the flip flop?

You can try Fedex, I've found them to be usually the highest; their thing is speed not low cost.

Maybe you can find someone who is flying to Australia, and offer, say, $50 to put the package in luggage and drop it off at the airport or a nearby post office for pickup or local delivery.

Another option might be to put the item on eBay with one of their cheap shipping options. The only risk might be that someone else might buy it, but if you still get the money, you could just make another part. As long as the buyer is notified when you post the ad, he should be able to snap it up pretty quickly before anyone else, especially if you play games with the description and category. Maybe post it under household items as a spare part for a can smasher.

Just for comparison the last time that I sent a 1.5 lb cigar box sized parcel to southeast Asia via Canada Post it came out to $72 CDN including tracking number and insurance. Given the value of the CDN dollar at present we're probably in the same ballpark.
    Buddy there sent me a return package easily 4 times larger, this cost me $12.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    maybe one of the empty ones could take Jerry's package on the flip flop?

You can try Fedex, I've found them to be usually the highest; their thing is speed not low cost.
    Ah,but not a direct route to Australia/NZ which is the problem.It's much cheaper for us to ship to the UK/Europe than OZ for this reason I believe.