Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil for a Sunnen Hone Machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    Sunnen wants you to think the sun may not rise again if you don't use their specialty honing oils.
    I don't know what I don't know about oils, but it seems this is a very simple and undemanding use, at low rpm's it lubrication one side of the hone, while flushing chips away from the other. Not sure where the fact and BS start and stop, and want to avoid drinking the koolaid, er um, Sunnen MB-30 honing oil
    Curious what you guys think.
    A good friend of mine has a automotive machine shop with at least two maybe three different Sunnen hones, He quit buying their oil back in the seventies because of the high price that Sunnen wants.
    I was at his shop today and happened to see three pails of oil he just purchased for his hones, he said he has been using this particular oil for years and believes it works better.
    Bright cut NHG Metalworking fluid and Bright cut NM Metalworking fluid by Chevron.

Steve

Can someone tell us how much the special oil from Sunnen costs?
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

I asked my buddy today he says they are using Sunoco Honing oil, in their Sunnen hone...
    Last edited by 754; 01-02-2019 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bborr01 View Post
    $24/Gal + shipping in small purchases. Bulk gets a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by bborr01 View Post
    Could we also send a sample out for Maspec and find out exactly what the composition is?If it is special,then fine,if not $24/gallon is robbery.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    $24/Gal + shipping in small purchases. Bulk gets a discount.
    The Chevron Bright cut metalworking fluid is around six bucks a gallon less expensive in small 5 gal. pails ,bulk also gets discounted. Prices probably vary depending on location also.
    https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    Could we also send a sample out for Maspec and find out exactly what the composition is?If it is special,then fine,if not $24/gallon is robbery.
    It is still America. You are free to send some out for any number of tests. I'd even be happy to give you a few drops for the purpose. I do have to admit that I find it funny that people will freely purchase other oils that are commonly consumed and replaced for the same or greater money, but when it comes to an oil that largely just recirculates, their sensibilities are suddenly offended. It's almost exactly the same price as Vactra Velocite #10 or even Vactra #2.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor demo View Post
    The Chevron Bright cut metalworking fluid is around six bucks a gallon less expensive in small 5 gal. pails ,bulk also gets discounted. Prices probably vary depending on location also.
    https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF
    Steve
    Hey, I hear ya! Positively agree. And until someone with actual skin in the game takes the time to prove that it performs as well or better, we are going to continue using MB-30 in our machines. And I say that having actually compared alternatives. With my own eyes and hands. Like I've written before - Anyone that actually does this with any real frequency can speak to the fact of how well MB-30 actually truly does separate/shed the waste from the oil. It _does_ very much make a difference in surface finish and consumables life.

Of course, I'm also running a 5 micron filter and high pressure pump...
    Last edited by Zahnrad Kopf; 01-01-2019 at 07:48 PM.

cost was part of it, but mostly convenience. Some things I can grab on the way home, where as a pail of specific oil will could be $100 to ship. I'm in the great white north where everything is more expensive, especially shipping. You guys forget how good you've got it with low shipping costs. But maybe thats BS and there's pail of MB30 waiting at some DC for me on the way home....I'll go fact finding but I'm condition to think a pail of that stuff on my door step somehow involves bending over.

Like all projects, they take longer to do in the real world than I can do them in my head....still cleaning and degreasing, haven't needed the oil yet.
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-01-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Have you tried contacting Guspro the Canadian distributor for Sunnen products in regards to price and availability?
    Living in Canada's largest industrial and metropolitan area I'd be very surprised that it wasn't available locally. Been a long time since I purchased any so not sure what local pricing would be, I think I bought my last in the days when our dollar was above par so we may both be surprised by sticker shock, although I'm starting to get desensitized lately.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories