Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know about these plans?

Default Does anyone know about these plans?

Does anyone know these plans?
    Are they suited for a model engine beginner?
    Does this engine run well when properly completed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STEAM-ENGIN...-/271691121416
    Last edited by Ringo; 12-30-2018 at 10:28 PM.

I do not, however it looks like an excellent project to get your feet wet. I would also follow every one of Brian Rupnows threads, and ask him for plans to which ever project you like the best.
    I learned Solidworks initially with an instructional book from Amazon. After that, I took Kozo's A3 Pennsy book and recreated his engine virtually. After doing that, I had to rely on my newly learned cad skills to survive in San Francisco for three years.
    Machining is no different, you learn by doing, and hopefully don't find yourself thrown into the fire like I did. While you're at it, download Fusion360 and recreate that model in 3d CAD as you are building it for real.

I'm new at this model machining, and I don't want to get in over my head.
    I am comfortable on my Logan 9x17 lathe, I just bought a old Taiwan 6x26 mill that appears to be in good shape.
    Hoping to build something that I can get my feet wet with.
    And yes, I been following Brian Rupnow on the bar stock hit-n-miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    I'm new at this model machining, and I don't want to get in over my head.
    I am comfortable on my Logan 9x17 lathe, I just bought a old Taiwan 6x26 mill that appears to be in good shape.
    Hoping to build something that I can get my feet wet with.
    And yes, I been following Brian Rupnow on the bar stock hit-n-miss.
    Do you know about the "Cracker" steam locomotive? Plans are free on the internet.
    Sounds like you need confidence, just go for it and start making parts. You will make mistakes, you will scrap parts, etc. It's normal. Really nothing to lose except your lack of confidence.

I just googled that cracker, pretty cool.
    I really like that live boiler, but, the wobblers just don't flip my trigger.
    With my lathe background, I'm wanting to get onto the eccentrics, crankshafts, camshafts.
    Right now I feel like my weak points are eccentrics and key cutting, so that is where I want to begin the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    I just googled that cracker, pretty cool.
    I really like that live boiler, but, the wobblers just don't flip my trigger.
    With my lathe background, I'm wanting to get onto the eccentrics, crankshafts, camshafts.
    Right now I feel like my weak points are eccentrics and key cutting, so that is where I want to begin the journey.
    Here ya go Ringo .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sQzedI_Cw4

I was going to suggest one of the wobbler engines to work out the basics. But if you're after a step higher then the Ebay engine doesn't look bad at all.

Did you try a search online for "model stationary steam engine free plans"? I did and one of the first hits that came back was THIS INDEX PAGE of a whole bunch of free plans for some fairly interesting looking steam engines.

Quote Originally Posted by DATo View Post
    oh yeah, I'm a regular follower of Joe Pie, Mrpete222, Keith Fenner, Abom79.

My problem is that I get paralysis from over-analysis, hard for me to decide on just one project and run with it, as my interests get shotgunned all over the place.

That is a fairly simple looking engine, a basic steam/air driven engine, made from bar stock etc. and should be a good starter model.

But why pay for plans, you can go to this site. It is an online Model Engineering/building magazine and has plenty of free plans that run from simple to more complex designs.

http://www.modelengineeringwebsite.com/Index.html

There are plenty of other plans floating around for free.
    Last edited by loose nut; 12-31-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/