Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know about these plans?

Lots more free plans here. http://www.john-tom.com/

While not "free plans" there are three books by Village Press that have good plans and instructions. I built the 1.5 x 1.5 V Steam engine designed by Mike Pileski. It is in Steam & Stirling book 3. The drawings are well done and the engine runs well. It is a large model which makes it easier to build than those with real little parts and fasteners.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Did you try a search online for "model stationary steam engine free plans"? I did and one of the first hits that came back was THIS INDEX PAGE of a whole bunch of free plans for some fairly interesting looking steam engines.
    I built this one http://www.plans-for-everything.com/...Horizontal.pdf which is one of the drawing sets from BC's links. I think it was my first engine, I was so pleased with myself with part completed lol

Its not too difficult and is its small so build time is modest and if you screw up a piece no big deal. The Steam and Stirling books are a also excellent.

That ebay one doesn't do it for me....but I get that what, um, turns your crank is a very individual thing. End of the day build what interests and appeals to you and that'll drive you to figure out how to make the parts necessary whether they're keyed or eccentric or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    That is a fairly simple looking engine, a basic steam/air driven engine, made from bar stock etc. and should be a good starter model.

But why pay for plans, you can go to this site. It is an online Model Engineering/building magazine and has plenty of free plans that run from simple to more complex designs.

http://www.modelengineeringwebsite.com/Index.html

There are plenty of other plans floating around for free.
    I just looked around that web site and don't see any plans other than DVD's for sale.

Ringo--I have a very complete set of plans for a two cylinder steam engine that I designed and built and has been built by may people around the world. If you want a free set of plans email me at brupnow@rogers.com and I will send you the download link.---Brian Rupnow
    Brian Rupnow

Santa Claus gave 2 books by Rudy Kouhoupt.
    The one book about horizontal mill, and plan sets from the past.
    One of his plans looks similar to the Ebay plans, although a different looking valve body.
    I went ahead and ordered the plans from Ebay, and started looking for bar stock.

On this subject, how do you guys categorize plans by skill level? I have seen some listed as skill level 1, level 2, level 3 and so on.
    You list them by the size of the teeny tiny parts, tiny taps and screws?
    You list them by the complexity of machine processes?
    Last edited by Ringo; 12-31-2018 at 02:05 PM. Reason: in error

Quote Originally Posted by Stepside View Post
    While not "free plans" there are three books by Village Press that have good plans and instructions. I built the 1.5 x 1.5 V Steam engine designed by Mike Pileski. It is in Steam & Stirling book 3. The drawings are well done and the engine runs well. It is a large model which makes it easier to build than those with real little parts and fasteners.

Pete
    Hey!! Thanks for the plug!!

Sid

Ringo--I sent you a download link and a link to the build on one of the forums I post to. Please let me know if you got the email alright.---Brian Rupnow
    Brian Rupnow

I got the email, Thanks Brian. That one may be too much for me with my experience level. I do not have welding or brazing tools.
    I checked the mailbox, and guess what showed up? The Ebay plans set.
    I thumbed thru all the drawings and this looks like a good easy? project for a beginner like me.
    Perhaps I'll start a new thread so that beginners can follow along.

Brian, I would love a set of drawings. Always wanted a 2 cylinder mill engine.