Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 4 inch Rotary Table ?

Default Which 4 inch Rotary Table ?

Looking at small Rotary tables 4 inch probably do anything I need. 6 might make more sense but they get up to 40 lbs on and off would be a issue. My mill is a Rockwell not real big.

Narrowed down to a 4 inch Shearline or a Phase II. Good experience with Phase II QC tool post and hear Shearlne turns out a good product. The Phase II is horizontal or vertical and offers 6 inch too. Shearlne 4 only and would have to add verticle adaptor . Delivered prices 4 inch about the same. I think quality is important with a Rotary.

Opinions or others I should look at ?

Boats
    Last edited by boats; 01-01-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Several years ago I bought a Phase II 6" H/V rotary table, came with divider plates and tail stock. I have been very happy with them.

Tim

If you plan to make finger rings (or the like) with it, a 4" will do. If you think you're going to add a 6, 8 or 10" plate on top and machine on it, think again. It'll flop around like a piece of tin. Keep in mind you need clamping space on top so a 4" table will give you about 2" of working space. Plan ahead or you'll be wasting money on the "first one".

Agree with Ken. I have a 6" "positioning tabe" (no crank, but same idea) and it's hard enough with that.

I think 4" would be near useless on a mill like a Rockwell that would take a 6" at least.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Agree with Ken. I have a 6" "positioning tabe" (no crank, but same idea) and it's hard enough with that.

I think 4" would be near useless on a mill like a Rockwell that would take a 6" at least.
    +1 I have both a 4" and a 6",the 4" never comes out to play anymore.On the 6" I went with the Vertex brand,quite nice quality wise and has real table locks that are positive and easy on the fingers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VERTEX-HV-6...-/332842875452

They also make a 4",but IME having a larger rotary table is better than having one that's too small.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACCURA-VERT...q51D:rk:5:pf:0
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Never used a 4" but I had a 6" HV Vertex and it was OK. I lucked onto a brand new 8" HV for free, sold my 6" for almost as much as I paid for it and found the larger size to be much more useful. It is heavy but the versatility outweighs the weight. Sometimes the 8" isn't large enough so make sure whatever you think you need it for that it will be adequate. The 4" ones are small.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Go with the 6". Once you start adding clamps to hold your piece down you'll find yourself running out of space real fast. I made a 7" fixture plate
    for my 6" rotary table:

By leaving it square instead of milling it round I can use the corners for some additional clamping space. In hindsight if I were doing it today, I
    would reduce the hole spacing from 1.0" to 0.75" and increase the size of the fixture plate from 7" to 8". Here is the thread that shows it
    being built if you are interested:
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...y-rotary-table

Hi,

I've used a 12" Phase2 H/V table and I own a Vertex 6" for my personal use. I actually like the Vertex just a bit better. It seems just a bit tighter in use. The Phase2 I used required frequent adjustment to keep it properly tight.

And if you can afford it, a 6" is way better than the 4" for working room. And an 8" rotab would not be too big for your Rockwell. But the purchase cost climbs and the weight gets heavier and heavier to move. These are also things to consider when purchasing any rotab.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

If weight is an issue,this might be an option-

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...s61Xfm1XX5ytSU

Not mine,but you get the concept.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I would go with the Sherline CNC rotary for three reasons that are applicable to me. 1. Made in the USA, 2. Fits my Taig mill, 3. It's ready to go with CNC for my 4th axis if needed.
    My suggestion to you is get what makes the most sense for YOUR uses.