Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which 4 inch Rotary Table ?

You forgot "it fits in my pocket".
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Good advise on the 6 inch, weighed the vise I use most, 30 lbs. 6 inch rotary 40 lbs. 40 lbs no problem and I can lift it from overhead if need be. Doubt if I will work on large parts, space for clamping worthwhile.

Thanks all

Boats, out of interest I weighed my own horizontal and vertical 6" table that also has a 5" Bison three jaw chuck mounted on it. The total for both pieces is only 33 lbs. Take away probably 8 lbs for the chuck and the table itself goes down to the mid twenty something lb range. I think you were looking at the SHIPPING weight when you found the 40 lbs thing.

THIS LINK is to the page from the outfit where I bought mine.

Size wise your Rockwell is easily the proper size for a 6" R/T.

I've used my own table for a dozen or so home projects at this point. I found that roughly 1/3 of the time I was using it in the vertical orientation. And when I did so the part was longer and I ended up buying a "tail stock" and sized it to suit the center height of the table. On the other hand the indexing kit that I got with the table remains unused and still coated in the protective muck inside the plastic wrappers.

And "never say never" to the large parts idea. Well, maybe not large in size and weight but I've often worked on longer parts that overhung the table. In one case I milled a sliding rest that clamped to the table for some outboard support on the part with the cutter into the work about 3 to 4 inches outside the support of the table. Another time I wanted a arc profile on a saddle and body to take the saddle which required working off the edge and for that I made a temporary extension arm from some 1/2 x 3 steel that attached to the T slots. These are things I would never try on a little 4 inch size. And even on the 6 I made sure to use lighter cuts .

Hope that helps with confirming the situation and that your back sighs in relief at the real weight of the table....
    Last edited by BCRider; 01-01-2019 at 03:34 PM.

That’s good information on the weight, 40 is not so much today 10 years I will be 80 and might have to lift it on and off with a block and tackle ! 30 lot more palatable .

Never had to exceed the capacity of my 11 inch Logan or the Rockwell, my big old Powermatic wood lathe work longer than the bed at times with a heavy built wood tailstock that has a large face bearing bolted on. Let one end run on the bearing with a cat head protecting the work rest hung outside, turn the 30 inches I can reach Inboard then reverse the piece and get at the other end.

Could well be I have to use the rotary with a long end off the table supported by a leg of some sort.

Thanks again all

Boats
    Last edited by boats; 01-01-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Keep in mind that a 4 inch RT set up vertical has only 2 inches from center to mill table. One could build some riser blocks to gain distance.

I have a 12 inch Bridgeport RT and it is heavy. When not in use it sits on a cabinet with casters. When I want the RT I match the cabinet height with the mill table and slide the RT onto the mill. This seems to be easier than using my bridge crane. When using it with the vertical attachment then it is time for the crane.

The answer to the question is determined by the reason/use for wanting a RT. Keep in mind that the clamps and fixtures often take up more room than the part being worked on.

Pete

I also bought a Vertex 6 inch, very happy with it. Much better than the 4 inch I bought from LMS a few years back. Size wasn't so much a problem as the lead screw on the LMS wasn't true and was impossible to get the backlash down to something usable. Also the slot hold down clamps wouldn't hold it to the bed and had trouble with it moving even tightened gorilla tight with light cuts. The 6 inch is a bit over kill for my mini-mill but it works.