Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver solder flux?

I buy my flux and silver solder thru a local welding gas supplier.
    Brian Rupnow

I usually use Amazon but I went to my local gas supply and got black flux 1# for $7.00 Amazon wants over $12.00

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    I've used this, but only at brazing temperatures. I expect it should also work at lower soldering temps.

https://www.amazon.com/Harris-SSWF1-...=fsclp_pl_dp_1
    +1 on StaySilv. That's what I use for silver brazing. You can get it at Home Depot also.

Best Regards,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Silver soldering is commonly confused with silver brazing so which one OP is intrested?
    Silver soldering is an improper term, it is properly silver brazing. Solder, lead or tin based, with some silver in it is just soldering, silver helps the solder flow better. Any silver solder (yes it should be called silver brazing alloy but we don't) has a proper flux made for it and should be used for best results. Generally we just use what we have on hand and accept the results. If it is an important or a work job then you should get the right stuff. You should be able to get the proper flux from who ever you are buying the "brazing alloy" from.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I've used both of the Harris fluxes mentioned. My experience is that if you're new to brazing, or out of practice, I prefer the black flux for two reasons. First, it's a bit more tolerant of overheating. Second, flux turns clear when it's up to temperature. The black has more visual contrast when this happens, and is easier to see. As your skill at controlling temperature increases, I like the white because it rinses/soaks off the finished joint more readily, and the fumes are less toxic. An inadvertent snootful of fumes off the black flux can ruin the rest of your day.

Quote Originally Posted by rjs44032 View Post
    +1 on StaySilv. That's what I use for silver brazing. You can get it at Home Depot also.

Best Regards,
    Bob
    Stay Silv for me also. I use the black sometimes...white other times. Depends on the mass of the object I'm working on. Bigger items I usually stick with the Black..Stay-Silv® Black Flux.
    I always clean it very good and make sure it's totally clean. And then wipe with acetone right before brazing.