Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shars 60 Degree Indexable Dovetail Cutter

Default Shars 60 Degree Indexable Dovetail Cutter

Maybe all the angles work out to cut a 60 degree dovetail?

Yes. I know. "SAY NO TO VERTICAL VIDEO." LOL
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I guess the thing to do is cut a dovetail with it, and get out my 60 degree block and a flashlight.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

It looks like the bottom of the triangle inserts are angled up a hair so only the outer corners rub on the work as it's cutting. And that sort of clearance would be normal. So perhaps the angle is also the compensation angle needed to let the sides cut to a proper 60?

What I don't like is that by pushing the inserts ahead like that the faces will have a negative angle to the cut. I wonder what that's going to do for the surface finish and cutter life.

EDITED- I went off to look at some other insert dovetail cutters online. Of the variety that use triangular inserts this idea of angling the insert seat to give some bottom relief while keeping the outer edge at the right angle to ride on the surface of the inscribed cone seems to be quite common.
    Last edited by BCRider; 01-04-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post

Yes. I know. "SAY NO TO VERTICAL VIDEO." LOL
    That is some funny shlt right there!

"Mila Kunis will be old and ugly!"

-D
    Last edited by Doozer; 01-04-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Hard to tell without a closer look. It does look like those are high positive inserts so the cutting edge may be positive.

They're tipped up so the outer tip only contacts the work piece along with a slight helix angle so presumably it all comes out to a 60 degree angle.

I have two brand new never used non-import cutters of this type I'll check those later to see how they compare.

I remember the first time I tried using a dovetail cutter on my 1st manual Bridgeport back in ~2004... I believe I only had my Bridgeport for a few weeks so I was still learning but I was fresh out of my machine shop night school class so full of confidence. I believe it was just a HSS dovetail cutter from a set of ~5 that I bought from Grizzly. I was "trying" it out and tried to cut into a block of mild steel. Without any warning the cutter just shattered. I don't recall if it made it fully into the side of the mild steel block or if it shattered before that. I don't remember if I failed to lock the Y axis, or maybe I failed to lock the quill, but I never tried using one since I'll have to try it again with my current Bridgeport in manual mode.
    Work hard play hard

I am in the market for a 60*,how it go?

Quote Originally Posted by kroll View Post
    I am in the market for a 60*,how it go?
    I'll let you know when I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    I'll let you know when I use it.
    Don't put it away, or you might find it again 15+ years later
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    I remember the first time I tried using a dovetail cutter on my 1st manual Bridgeport back in ~2004... I believe I only had my Bridgeport for a few weeks so I was still learning but I was fresh out of my machine shop night school class so full of confidence. I believe it was just a HSS dovetail cutter from a set of ~5 that I bought from Grizzly. I was "trying" it out and tried to cut into a block of mild steel. Without any warning the cutter just shattered. I don't recall if it made it fully into the side of the mild steel block or if it shattered before that. I don't remember if I failed to lock the Y axis, or maybe I failed to lock the quill, but I never tried using one since I'll have to try it again with my current Bridgeport in manual mode.
    It helps to cut a channel first. I don't like the idea of plowing through in one shot. Indexable or not.

JL............