Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shars 60 Degree Indexable Dovetail Cutter

I have a Shars 1-7/8 insert dovetail cutter I haven't tried yet either,just waiting on time to make some more tool holders.At $56 it was a good bit cheaper than a similar sized HSS cutter.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by kroll View Post
    This is the one I am going to order,watching this Utube it sure looks well made and by a real machinist.While not cheap but these type cutters I don't think we can get off cutting corners.I want to try and make some tool holders for my QCTP.

https://youtu.be/qOkvSpXKo0o
    I bought one from Randy Richards 6 months ago. I made some tool holder for my QCTP. Worked great they fit perfect. I did machine out the center before I switch to the dovetail cutter.

I think this is the one presented by the OP: https://www.ebay.com/itm/352045133997

It uses TDEX inserts. The specs are also in the listing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Yes. I know. "SAY NO TO VERTICAL VIDEO." LOL
    LOL
    A PSA for the uninformed about Vertical Video Syndrome:
    https://youtu.be/Bt9zSfinwFA
    Finding creative ways to turn material into scrap for decades.

Current Machines:
    South Bend 13 Lathe (being rebuilt)
    Bridgeport Mill (step pully J)
    Garvin 2A horizontal mill
    Ohio 20 shaper
    Harbor Freight 4x6 band saw

Quote Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
    LOL
    That.... was.... so... funny ... ! .... ! the person/folks that made that deserve an Oscar.....

Back to the dovetail cutter.... On that ebay listing the strong negative rake angle of the insert faces is readily apparent in the view looking at the end. Is that not a problem? The angles it's on would scrape more than cut. Oh, I know, I know, this is metal working. But it seems like that geometry would require more power to plow through the metal just like most negative rake cutters.
    Last edited by BCRider; 01-05-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Back to the dovetail cutter.... On that ebay listing the strong negative rake angle of the insert faces is readily apparent in the view looking at the end. Is that not a problem? The angles it's on would scrape more than cut. Oh, I know, I know, this is metal working. But it seems like that geometry would require more power to plow through the metal just like most negative rake cutters.
    Probably done to get enough clearance angle for the insert. "Upper" part of insert is turning around with something like 10mm radius.

Quote Originally Posted by bandsawguy View Post
    I bought one from Randy Richards 6 months ago. I made some tool holder for my QCTP. Worked great they fit perfect. I did machine out the center before I switch to the dovetail cutter.
    Nothing but positive reviews,going for set,thanks for your post

Thanks for that explanation of "Vertical Video". I had no idea what it referred to. I've been complaining for a long time about the idiot stuff they have been putting on TV from such idiots. Wish I could have understood a lot of the talk on that YouTube vid.
    ...lew...

A couple things....

The video in the OP's post was not upside down IMO. The way it was oriented shows the end very well.

The Richards dovetail cutter is single flute, the Shars is 3 flute which means it could be fed much faster with longer insert life. Watching the Richards video on making the cutter it appears he doesn't mill the insert pocket with a contact angle where the 11 degree edge of the TPG insert contacts the holder, really bad practice to secure an insert against a cutting edge as he seems to do. Does he put a Weldon flat on his shanks?

Dorian makes a 60 degree dovetail cutter that looks to be identical to the Shars, same TDEX insert (maybe the Shars maker copied the Dorian?). The Dorian cutter is widely distributed by tooling houses. Isn't it fair to assume it does a good job?
    Last edited by DR; 01-06-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
    LOL
    awesome psa. Ive been guilty of the vv. I also have a set of maybe 9 or so hss dovetail cutters, they look so spindley and fragile I haven't tried to use them. But now I know to rough out the bulk of metal before using them, and maybe rig an air jet to clear chips.