Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Cars And Blinding Head Lights

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Specular reflection might not affect polarization, but diffuse reflection should result in random polarization at different spots over the surface, and visibility ought then to be good.

If the bright lights really bother you, it might be time to get checked for cataracts.
    The problem is, putting up with these lights while your cataracts get bad enough to have them removed. I'm in that boat. My new Ford F150 has those damned lights and I feel bad for those who have to look at them!

I have trouble with the bright lights, too. Part of it is old age, but I can really tell the difference with the newer lights vs. the older ones. Around here, the local yahoos seem to be in a race to see who can get the brightest lights, and I'm sure many of them aren't legal. One morning, I saw a semi with an entire row of bright headlights across his front bumper. It looked like the sun coming up! Meanwhile, my old cars have conventional lights, along with cloudy covers, so I can't see well anyhow. They recently re-paved the highway I use every morning, and when it rains, it just looks like one big mirror, You can't see the stripes at all. My eye doctor hasn't indicated cataracts yet.

I was not to flash your high beams at oncoming cars in drivers ed 38 years ago. As mentioned above you just create a situation where neither driver can see.

i'd be happy if all just stopped driving with the high beams on, how ignorant and inconsiderate, but it seems to happen frequently. It's even annoying during the day if they're behind you. That and the morons who sit in the left lane not moving over, and the specially touched left lane morons who speed up when you go to pass them (that's where its fun to have HP).

The cop was probably wearing a pair of those super cool sunglasses they all seem to wear now.

There are at least four contributing factors in this problem.

1. When was your last eye examination. You may very well have significant cataracts. Note that having them removed will initially give you more brightness/glare problems at night, but within a couple months most patients end up much better.

2. As noted, some cars have poorly adjusted headlights, and some drivers drive around with their brights on. They might actually have significant cataracts and the brights help them. If you flash your brights at them, they may actually be blinded so I would not do that.

3. Some of the car modders and ricers love aftermarket lights that are sold as "off road only" but they don't care. Illegal (on road) because they are freaking dangerous, but rarely enforced.

4. The plastic housing/lens often gets cloudy after 5 years, and this causes the beam to produce a lot of nuisance glare for oncoming drivers. Don't be the bad guy, get a polishing kit and do it every 6-12 months as needed.

I dislike it as well, way to bright of low beams on vehicles.

Chevy trucks are notorious for having badly aimed or dispersed light patterns. Their low beams are always blinding.

Then HID lights where they have a sharp cutoff line and are on "high beam" or full output all the time just change angle. Thats fine till you move the car and hit bumps and are constantly flashing everyone in front of you. Really hate these lights!

Now the led lights that are coming out, yup, just to darn bright and light shining out in all directions. Plain junk.
    Andy

Adaptive lighting is on the way in the US. Been in Europe for some time... we are off the back once again.

Well, lots of interesting replies and comments so first off, there is nothing wrong with my eyes. I had one cataract done on my right eye several years ago. The doc said I was way too young to have a cataract but sometimes it does happen, due to an injury, perhaps welding and catching a glimpse of the arc, etc. I've done a lot of welding and have experienced arc burn a few times. This was before cars started coming out with these blinding lights.

I realize beam focus can change due to road conditions, hills, dips etc. which it does. But this has become way too frequent of a problem and after doing a little research I'm not the only one complaining. Even worse are the headlights that have that violet cast to them.

I shouldn't have to buy special night vision glasses to cope with this.

JL...............

It's a fact of life that it gets more difficult to deal with glare as we age.