Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: China lands on dark side of the moon ot

edit for post #27
    Didn't Pink Floyd do this first, back in 1973????

I'm sure they'll find Alice.

Looking at it from a science aspect, the skill of the Chinese will have enabled them to come up with possibly a unique look at the universe. I wonder what the actual intentions are- and what would be some good frequencies to look with. If they have deployed some large dishes, it can either mean very high frequencies with enormous gain, or every frequency with still a good gain down to 10 mhz or so. One thing interesting to me is how accurate are the dishes, once deployed on their mounts? I'd like to see the hardware.

It's quite an achievement in any case that they've been able to carry this out- with apparently healthy equipment on the lunar ground. 1/6 gravity certainly would help a large dish to keep a good shape. I know nothing of the orbiting satellite stations- are they in geosynchronous? Is that even possible, and how much effect would the earth actually have on such an orbit around the moon? Does it even matter?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Re the following quote:
    <I know nothing of the orbiting satellite stations- are they in geosynchronous? Is that even possible,>
    IF IF you're referring to the moon as in "Lunarsynchronous" . That is impossible as it does not rotate like the earth. And it's should be obvious that an object can not be stationary over a point without the object being in an ORBIT over another object with the same angular rotation. :-)
    ...lew...

Um, the moon does rotate, at the same rate as the earth.
    Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 01-07-2019 at 12:08 AM.

Not quite. The earth rotates once every 24 hours giving us the earth day. The moon rotates synchronously with it's orbit of the earth which I remember to be about 29 days or so. Thus we only see the one face.

Oops!

It's called "tidal locking" . At some point in the distant future the Earth will (theory) do the same as that to the Moon, but the Sun will be a red dwarf and we will be long gone.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 01-07-2019 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedave View Post
    They're sure catching up fast.

Pink Floyd comes to mind.
    Actually it seems we're revising our china takes over prophecies ever further into the future all the time to me. It's just like Japan, or the Soviets in the 50s, though I think the Japan outcome is an optimistic scenario in Chinas case.

"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", Robert Heinlein.

The proposed 600 mile nautical Chinese "Zone of Influence". https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8359516.html For this, you need a credible deep water Navy. China hasn't had one since 1525. In the 1890's, they tried to rebuild it, but the IJN kicked their butts at the Yalu. Now, they have one aircraft carrier, with another (?) on the way. They are a long way from being able to enforce it. Still, even a diesel powered sub can do dreadful things, and they have some nuclear subs with ballistic missiles. Not yet a credible blue water threat.

Tibet

There is a decided advantage to not having a chaotic and adversarial political system. You can focus on expanding your borders. All you have to worry about is the rest of the world objecting.
    Last edited by John Buffum; 01-07-2019 at 09:12 AM.

This Youtube is interesting, on Chinese naval power. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uouBhJke8S4. There is a school of thought that carriers are no longer as relevant in today's naval warfare, that it's all missiles. 760 ships. A LOT of landing craft. A LOT of destroyers and frigates. The destroyers and frigates are the missile ships. I don't know what the gun boats are for. Missiles? Riverine action? With 760 ships, that 600 mile zone of influence is closer than we thought.

But then, there's the IJN. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPCTBV6h-i4 Rematch from 1894?

It's difficult for anyone to attribute peaceful motives to anyone, these days. Maybe the Chinese are looking to establish scientific credentials. I wish there was a good way to know.