Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DOM tubing and types

Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    ...Check with the rule books for various race organizations like SCORE or NASCAR.
    They will spec out the OD and wall for Roll cages. That will be the biggest size you need....
    Good advice--just about any "sanctioned" competition will have specs for the material to be used.

Rather than buying a bunch of material all at once I would ease into it as you figure out what you're going to
    need. Having done this kind of work for the best part of 30 years I can tell you that you'll find yourself needing
    something you don't have on hand while 100 ft. of something you may never use sits on the rack.

Unless you know precisely what you're going to be building I'd wait a bit...
    Keith

The nice thing about a hobby shop is I design/build based on what materials I have. I previously stocked up on ~120' each of 1/2" SCH40, 3/4" SCH40, and 1" SCH40, lots of square tubing, angles, flats, back in 2005. I'll be designing/building based on the DOM tubing I end up getting. I guess I need to figure out what types of wall thicknesses I'll need first. SCH40 was easy to order as the wall thickness wasn't an option as it's a schedule. And of course I'd like to go thinner wall with the DOM.
    Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 01-05-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    Check with the rule books for various race organizations like SCORE or NASCAR.
    They will spec out the OD and wall for Roll cages. That will be the biggest size you need.

I have built several single seat desert off road cars.

1.5x .095, 1.5x .083 with 1x.83 diagonals for the larger cars.

1.25x .095, 1.25x .063 with 1 and 3/4 x 0.065 diagonals for smaller cars.
    Thanks, those sound like good walls for what I'd like to do too. I think I'll order the 1.5", 1.25", 1", and 3/4" dies.
    Work hard play hard

You really don't need DOM, cold rolled tubing will be more than adequate, and lower cost, for most projects.
    Hot rolled P&O is not very good for bending, the thin layer of scale will flake off when bent.
    I have built many bike frames, roll cages, oval track cars etc..out of cr tube.
    Cold rolled tube is what most commonly available DOM is made from, DOM is just CR tube drawn over a mandrel.
    That said there is also Seamless DOM, usually quite a price difference.
    The DOM tubing that is mostly available here is not the best for bending very dirty inside and out.
    The CR tube we get is clean very nice smooth finish bends very nicely.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by ecortech View Post
    You really don't need DOM, cold rolled tubing will be more than adequate, and lower cost, for most projects.
    Hot rolled P&O is not very good for bending, the thin layer of scale will flake off when bent.
    Cold rolled tube is what most commonly available DOM is made from, DOM is just CR tube drawn over a mandrel.
    The DOM tubing that is mostly available here is not the best for bending very dirty inside and out.

Ed
    I definitely want to play with high quality 1020 DOM tube and 4130 Chromoly tubing.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by ecortech View Post

Ed
    When you americans refer to sch 40 pipe is that normally welded or seamless?

"weldable water/steam pipes" around here are seamless grade and the same grade is used for hot steam etc. Popular budget choice for car builders etc, also reasonably lightweight as it seem to be thinner wall than US SCH 10 pipe.
    (galvanized or threaded ones seem to be welded sometimes in here)

The one time I asked the metal supermarket-dude if he had any DOM tubing, he looked at me like I was stupid. What the roll cage people call "DOM" is regular rolled-tubing that had some really good annealing to hide the seam, it's not actually "drawn over mandrel". It might save the stupid looks if you don't ask the metal dude for DOM tubing.

New pipe bender, stocking up on pipe, tubing or DOM, chrome molly............I would like to know what you are scheming to build?

Come on, out with it! For a couple of years I have been casually planning to build a utility vehicle for the farm. Something like a John Deere gator but way cooler. 4x4, all wheel steering, etc.

So what's up?
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

3PL just likes to hoard stuff.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    3PL just likes to hoard stuff.
    Who doesn't

Besides if you have empty space in your garage/shop you have paid for nothing when you have been building..