Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DOM tubing and types

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    New pipe bender, stocking up on pipe, tubing or DOM, chrome molly............I would like to know what you are scheming to build?

Come on, out with it! For a couple of years I have been casually planning to build a utility vehicle for the farm. Something like a John Deere gator but way cooler. 4x4, all wheel steering, etc.

So what's up?
    I don't have any specific projects lined up yet, but having the ability to bend thin wall tubing is something I definitely wanted in my new shop.
    Work hard play hard

3 ph has it figured out..
    Like a bike collector told me, you can't have all the bikes at once, but if you keep getting rid of some you can have almost everything once..
    But 3 phase has it figured out, after a while when you get tired of some stuff you just give it away.. that way it AlWAYS goes..

And then you got room for more stuff, and you just get more..

The steel market is so crazy, prices and stock availability, these days not sure if DOM seamed tube is still available. It used to be quite a bit less in price than seamless DOM .

It's quite a process to pierce a red hot billet to produce seamless DOM. I had a chance to tour a plant in Northern Cal that made hydraulic cylinder bodies that way.

A local shop needed seamless titanium DOM around 8" ID. It was so hard to find they bought solid bars and had the supplier send the material out to have the ID trepanned out. The trepanning company did it free and kept the slug.

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    The steel market is so crazy, prices and stock availability, these days not sure if DOM seamed tube is still available. It used to be quite a bit less in price than seamless DOM .
    Seamless "hot rolled/drawn?" "pressure rated" steam pipe is same price as welded around here(or even cheaper). Around 2.5eur/kg or 5usd/lbs. Usual wall thickness for 1.9" OD is 0.11"
    Cold drawn seamless is easiest to find sold as hydraulic tube , price is about 2x hot rolled seamless. Cold drawn hydraulic tube is also approved for FIA safety chassis material.
    If US market is anything like here 3-PH lightbulb should also ask the prices for hydraulic tube.

And remember that 2" pipe and 2" tube are not even nearly same size and need different dies.

Well not to change the topic too much, but with all the online metal stores, which one offers the best value on shipping? I am trying to stock up on CR and 6061.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Well not to change the topic too much, but with all the online metal stores, which one offers the best value on shipping? I am trying to stock up on CR and 6061.
    Ebay, beats them all. Various metals I bought recently were under half the price of the online metal suppliers.

A example, 4inch round 3 in long C360 brass, $68 a inch from online supplier plus shipping, ebay $60 with free shipping.
    3/4 dia TGP 4140 prehard rounds, 10 in long, $2 ea on ebay with free ship,
    Last edited by Sparky_NY; 01-06-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    Ebay, beats them all. Various metals I bought recently were under half the price of the online metal suppliers.
    I've gotten good deals off there as well.
    Andy

I'll probably be getting my tubing locally from http://www.emjmetals.com
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    I'll probably be getting my tubing locally from http://www.emjmetals.com
    Make sure you bring some with you when you come. Besides organizing and cleaning up my shop we can build my UTV while you are here.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

I just got a quote back for this order:

1020 DOM SRA - ASTM A513/5 (120 feet of each):

.750 OD X .584 ID (.083 W)
    1.000 OD X .810 ID (.095 W)
    1.250 OD X 1.060 ID (.095 W)
    1.500 OD X 1.310 ID (.095 W)

1020 DOM SRA - ASTM A513/5 (40 feet of each):

.750 OD X .620 ID (.065 W)
    1.000 OD X .834 ID (.083 W)
    1.250 OD X 1.120 ID (.065 W)
    1.500 OD X 1.334 ID (.083 W)

$3,245 for all. 628 lbs