Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ER32 chucks

Default ER32 chucks

I was thinking of ER32 collet chucks for lathe and mill. Are they acceptable for tool holding and work holding? Repeatable for work holding or more like using a 3 jaw? I have no collets now. MT3 spindle in mill, lathe is L-0 with MT5 inside taper. Good idea or no? Other suggestions? Need by 32nds to cover all sizes, right? I have no collets of any variety now.

Thanks
    Captain K

I use them all the time on both lathe and mill. I prefer ER25 on the mill because the size is smaller and doesn't block your view. I made my own screw on ER32 and 25 for the lathe spindle, may not be so easy on an L-0 but MT5 chucks are available. Full sets in 1mm increments of decent quality ER25 on ebay for $30 and er32 for $59 at bangood.

My 1930s SIP Jig Borer is Morse taper #3 with a drawbar
    and I got an adapter to convert that taper to ER40 collets.
    I got the adapter from H&H Industrial Products (H&HIP).
    I went with ER40 for the 1" maximum size. Runout is less
    than half a thou and I am happy with the fit and finish.
    My ER40 collets I bought from Z Live Center ebay seller,
    also a nice set of collets, all with less than 2 tenths runout.

-Doozer

I second the idea of the ER25 for the mill for the reason martik gave. The clamp nut is bigger than you think on these things.

For the lathe I'd suggest you opt for a 5C solution and then to cover the inbetween sizes get an ER32 holder with a 5C arbor. Then you got your bases covered. The 5C is nice for times you just want to provide an shallow step to grab onto. But ER collets don't like "shallow". They prefer closer to full length engagement due to how the work. So the 5C to ER32 covers off the often in between sizes found on hot rolled stock or other parts that need a bit of turning.

Also the 5C to ER32 chuck and arbor allows you to shift stuff in an ER 32 over to spindexers and other 5C specific work holding tools. Just try to find an ER specific spindexer.

ER has some limitations like BCRider mentions(and it doesn't work with lever-action drawbar closer) but its good and versatile option if you don't have too much money to spend.
    "Filler plug" works acceptably for those cases where you need to grab something really short in ER collet.

Add square and hexagonal ER mounting blocks to the list and its even better.

MK5 ER32 would be easiest for your lathe but you would lose trough-spindle capability.
    You could actually bodge some sort of "nut" that couples to the L0 spindle threads and secures the MT5 but at that point its probably better just couple together extra L0 backing plate and register-mount ER collet chuck.

Lots of the time I use collets in lathe I actually just chuck straight shank ER collet chuck like these in 3-jaw:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/C32-ER32-Al...ofnX:rk:1:pf:0
    Better than 3-jaw if you need to clamp a bolt from the threaded section or something like that even if runout is not any better than 3-jaw.

I don't like the idea of collets within collets. Too much total combined runout. I also don't like 5C collets. I've only used ER16 collets in my mill, and anything on the lathe that needs precision goes in the 4 jaw. Don't get me wrong, in theory, I absolutely love the idea of collets, but in practice, never got decent runouts on the lathe 5c chucks I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Lots of the time I use collets in lathe I actually just chuck straight shank ER collet chuck like these in 3-jaw:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/C32-ER32-Al...ofnX:rk:1:pf:0
    +1 on everything Matti said except the ER32 chuck that fits my EMCO C8 clone gets mounted into the 4 jaw. https://littlemachineshop.com/images...0/2532.480.jpg That allows dialing in the 1st part on a run then the rest of them will be spot on. The ER chuck is easily removed for larger work to go directly in the 4 jaw saving the the hassle of swapping chucks on the C8's flange mount system.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

I got ER25 x R8 for the mill to hold up to 5/8", 16mm and have a straight shank ER25 for occasional non critical use in a lathe chuck. I also have an ER25 on a plate to fit on the rotary table which shares a lathe backplate with a chuck. I must turn up a dedicated backplate for it as it is a bother switching. The advantage of the ER25 on the plate is the full bore through hole.

As for sizes, I would get the common sizes for available barstock in quality collets and only add the odd sizes as required. Two thirds of a full set are unlikely to ever be used.
    Last edited by old mart; 01-06-2019 at 12:35 PM.

There is one situation where the ER collet does not work well: where the work does not extend all the way through the collet. If there is no support at the back end the collet will become bellmouthed. I suppose a short piece of stock at the back end of the collet could eliminate the problem.

The Jacobs Rubber Flex collets used a rubber plug at the back end when holding short work.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    I second the idea of the ER25 for the mill for the reason martik gave. The clamp nut is bigger than you think on these things.

For the lathe I'd suggest you opt for a 5C solution and then to cover the inbetween sizes get an ER32 holder with a 5C arbor. Then you got your bases covered. The 5C is nice for times you just want to provide an shallow step to grab onto. But ER collets don't like "shallow". They prefer closer to full length engagement due to how the work. So the 5C to ER32 covers off the often in between sizes found on hot rolled stock or other parts that need a bit of turning.

Also the 5C to ER32 chuck and arbor allows you to shift stuff in an ER 32 over to spindexers and other 5C specific work holding tools. Just try to find an ER specific spindexer.

All astute observations about the differences
    between Cataract and ER collets.
    The ER collets are more of a toolholding collet
    and Cataract collets are more of a workholding
    collet.

-Doozer