Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowmobile Spline

Default Snowmobile Spline

Arctic Cat Thundercat Spline on Jack Shaft. Does any one know anything regarding these? Are they Involute Spline like a 30 degree stub .I dont know much about Splines. I thought first it was a straight 30 degree type but..almost looks a bit .Anyhow any Info would be good. Thanx Guys

I haven't dealt with splines in quite a while. I've seen straight and involute on a number of different applications.
    With snowmobile jack shafts, given the high torque that they now produce I'm sure they are all involute to maintain a better line of contact.
    Also probably metric. The only way to tell is take it out and pull some measurements.
    Straight splines seem to be a thing of the past. I have some old lawn mower shafts that are straight spline.

JL............

What's a snowmobile?

I don't know but when I made one out of 7075, I just ground up a cutter to fit the profile..

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    What's a snowmobile?
    It's something that we used to ride around on in the winter in Michigan but nowadays you need to go to Canada most of the time or put wheels where the skis go.
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

May be worth trying an agricultural machinery supplier, there are a lot of standard splined sockets and shafts for tractor PTOs, cheap too!

The splines are straight as parallel with shaft,the one in the pic is ones used in the Thundercat era 7/8" in dia.

Just guessing ... but the way that the mill cutter emerged from the full depth cut in an "arc shape" would indicate an involute form. An exit in a rectangular form would indicate a straight tooth form. Does this sound right??

Joe B

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCB View Post
    Just guessing ... but the way that the mill cutter emerged from the full depth cut in an "arc shape" would indicate an involute form. An exit in a rectangular form would indicate a straight tooth form. Does this sound right??

Joe B
    Sounds right to me.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCB View Post

Joe B
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Sounds right to me.
    Sorry Guys not familiar with terminology of different splines.