Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: password protection

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    Passwords suck. Sucks to try and remember, each site asks for a different combination of letters and number and whatnot, can't ever remember the combo so every time you have to do the "forgot password" shpeal. Then repeat.

Its like locking the doors to your house. Hassle for you all the time but won't stop anyone who wants in.
    Just use this password. Easy to remember: P1A2S3S4W5O6R7D8 (PASSWORD + 12345678 = P1 A2 S3 S4 W5 O6 R7 D8)
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Oh. Right. Yeah. Sure sure. Billions upon billions of guesses, all for my hsm password. Someone is going to get rich on that.

So when I start posting a bunch of stuff for sale, I apologize! But it is surely because some miscreants have cracked my password.
    You doubt the influence of the Great and Powerful HSM.

Shame on you.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Passwords are basically insecure.

They can be hacked into. People cannot remember them, so they get written down. People cannot remember them, so they put ALL their passwords into a nice password manager..... no chance THAT goes wrong.....

So,

Use the SAME passwords..... Why bother to remember a few dozen?

Low security..... the lowest common denominator.... use that password for any ordinary needs. like this forum, etc.

Intermediate..... use this for other sites, mail etc.

High security.... individual ones, but ones you can remember, phrases if possible, referencing something about the site for easy recall.

Of course, there are many sites that FORCE a 6 character password with letters only, or letters and numbers.... Those fools you have to just humor and use what they demand.... Use the first 6 of the low security password, they don;t matter anyway.

With luck, you will only need to remember a half dozen or less.

Stuff like "$d5h^^t1[p%gHj" is usually not allowed, and if it is, how will you remember 20 different ones like that? The fools who demand that obviously want you to write them down and list the sites, usernames and passwords all on one sheet of paper.....

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

The totally secure system that use for sites that require authenticated access is:
    {REDACTED}
    And it works great!

I have found that a combination of J Tiers ranking/securing system and the use of LastPass is very secure and works easily. And, if my computer or phone dies, I lose no logins, as they are all stored, encrypted, on-line.
    While theoretically hackable (anything is hackable), it is convenient and no one has succeed in breaking their system, yet. And all my limited brain has to remember is one, High Security level, password for access.
    And with my iPhone, not even that, I can use my fingerprint, which actually may be the weakest link of the whole system.
    Finding creative ways to turn material into scrap for decades.

Current Machines:
    South Bend 13 Lathe (being rebuilt)
    Bridgeport Mill (step pully J)
    Garvin 2A horizontal mill
    Ohio 20 shaper
    Harbor Freight 4x6 band saw

Take several words and then use the keyboard keys above them to scramble them. Throw in a couple of extras just to mix things up.

Black blue red green -plain text password

Goqdig_o7343et"433h -confused password.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    Take several words and then use the keyboard keys above them to scramble them. Throw in a couple of extras just to mix things up.

Black blue red green -plain text password

Goqdig_o7343et"433h -confused password.
    I LIKE THAT!

That will satisfy most "super secure" password requirements for total gobbledegook, and still let you recall it easily.

Only problem is that it fails entirely if you do not get to use a QWERTY keyboard to enter the password. But that may be avoidable.

it is crappy message encryption, but good for a password, where that is not expected.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    I LIKE THAT!

That will satisfy most "super secure" password requirements for total gobbledegook, and still let you recall it easily.

Only problem is that it fails entirely if you do not get to use a QWERTY keyboard to enter the password. But that may be avoidable.

it is crappy message encryption, but good for a password, where that is not expected.
    I'd go with the key below just to throw the hsm folks off.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    I'd go with the key below just to throw the hsm folks off.
    Yabbut...... what's below V thru M?

Up has definite possibilities, down, not so many. You can mix up shifted or not too.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

What's wrong with 'qwerty' or 'yuiop'? No one would ever think of using them.

If one person has figured out a “system” for passwords (such as commingling two words or using keys with certain relationships to the letters of a word) then another person can also figure it out.
    And that second person can be a bad actors.
    GPUs (the system referred to in the original post) and cloud computing services give the bad actors unprecedented amounts of cheap computing power.
    It is then easy to use such guessed passwords as patterns to try to break an encrypted password.

Frank