Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: password protection

Thunderdome...

We pay "white hats" to test our security yearly and even more often, both from the outside and inside (we actually give them a seat and network port). Amazing what they find, but that's why we pay them.. and then plug the holes. Thank God we don't just reply on name/passwords for "identity"; it's just one small part.

And as I was typing this on my home laptop I got a phone prompt from goggle to ask if I was trying to logon from another device. A simple yes/no question. NO... so they denied that logon.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    We pay "white hats" to test our security yearly and even more often, both from the outside and inside (we actually give them a seat and network port). Amazing what they find, but that's why we pay them.. and then plug the holes. Thank God we don't just reply on name/passwords for "identity"; it's just one small part.

Very good. REAL security folks. Not the amateur hour.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, someone is having to go through the hassle of getting a new credit card because they handed their card to a waiter at a restaurant yesterday. I ALWAYS pay my meal bill with cash.

BTW - my passwords, some pretty long if I care about the web site, are written down in my notebook on my desk. Not the full thing, enough to help me remember.

Steve

I never use credit cards, EVER and I never do any banking or other important stuff online. EVER.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I rarely have with credit cards (50+ transactions per week) and if I do one simple phone call to the issuer and it's "resolved". I'm not liable for fraudulent charges. Debit cards - most do not have the same protections.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    I rarely have with credit cards (50+ transactions per week) and if I do one simple phone call to the issuer and it's "resolved". I'm not liable for fraudulent charges. Debit cards - most do not have the same protections.
    I have a card that is both. And often the merchant activates it as a debit, even though I do not even remember the PIN for it. No idea how they do that, but it pisses me off. What the hell are protections like that FOR, if they can be ignored?

Small wonder I am not a fan of passwords.... there is a "password" that means absolutely nothing. By the time I find out what they did, the transaction with the bank is DONE.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Silly boy. You need to read up on the flaws in the debit card scheme / infrastructure. It does not need a pin or password to be used. That's a common misconception since it looks like an ATM card. When you do read up on it you have to be careful not to confuse the credit card protection laws with those that apply to debit cards.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post
    Silly boy. You need to read up on the flaws in the debit card scheme / infrastructure. It does not need a pin or password to be used. That's a common misconception since it looks like an ATM card. When you do read up on it you have to be careful not to confuse the credit card protection laws with those that apply to debit cards.

Dan
    Might have known the law would be written to benefit the bank first.

And, they WILL NOT issue a card that is not both. Which basically means it is a debit card, since the merchant has the option (so you say) to take it as whichever they choose to.

Still most merchants ask which it is, and then ask for a PIN.... Apparently they think they need it too.

Got it... passwords are optional whenever it is to the benefit of the site to make it so

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Still most merchants ask which it is, and then ask for a PIN.... Apparently they think they need it too.
    Since debit cards came about, I cannot EVER recall anyone asking for the PIN number. Of course it very common that you have to enter it on a keypad but they NEVER ask for it. Same with using it for online purchases, NEVER been required to enter a PIN, just the 3 digit security code on the back.

By any chance, were those asking for it telemarketers with very heavy foreign accents?