Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: OT: password protection

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post
    When you do read up on it you have to be careful not to confuse the credit card protection laws with those that apply to debit cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Might have known the law would be written to benefit the bank first.

And, they WILL NOT issue a card that is not both.
    I don't know who "they" are, but most credit cards do not function as debit cards.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post

And, they WILL NOT issue a card that is not both.
    That's not quite true. They will issue cards that are a credit card but not a Debit card. They will also issue an ATM card that is not a credit card. I don't recall if you can get a Debit card that is not also a valid credit card. Based on foggy memory, the debit card system relies on the credit card infrastructure to work, so getting a Debit card without a credit card backing is unlikely. You can assign a PIN to a debit card, but it is not required by many banks and is not forced.

On the other hand, you can tell your bank that you want an ATM card that is NOT a debit card and that is without the VISA or MC backing. ATM cards require a PIN. ATM cards have a different level of protection than Debit cards also. If they refuse to issue an ATM only card you should change banks. My ATM card is accepted at any ATM as well as at the grocery stores and other point of sale devices. Occasionally I find a business with point of sale that will not accept an ATM card. Costco's optometry department is one place that will take a debit or credit but not ATM. I've used my ATM card at stores and gas stations throughout the western US.

I see there have been changes to the EFTA since I last studied it and the Credit Card act of 2009 may come to bear too.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Maybe you just have really crappy banking/payment infrastructure?

Here in Canada, I haven't seen any bank with a "combo" card, it's either a debit card or a credit card. The retailer may make the incorrect selection (they prefer to select debit), but then the transaction fails and you get to redo the transaction with credit card selected.

And everybody (other than over the internet), you either have to insert your card and enter a PIN, or for small transactions, you can use use the RFID/tap (assuming the card supports that).

I know in the US, retailers have spent years moaning about how expensive it is to get better card readers, and the credit card companies are busy working them over with much higher fee's for not having better card readers, while also not being able to quickly certify upgraded setups so retailers wouldn't have to pay the higher fee's (huge surprise there...)

If you have a debit card that can be scanned IE: tapped, without using a pin number then anyone with a portable scanner that gets close enough can get your card info and rob you. You can go to your bank and have the "tap" feature turned off so that a pin is necessary.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Quote Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
    I've been getting emails on my spam separating program, stating that if I did not send them any where from 5 to 8 hundred dollars in bitcoin that they would kill my computer. They say they have my password and list a password that I used maybe 15 years ago. My guess is they maybe got ahold of a old computer that I recycled and pulled the pass words off of it. Each email comes from a different country, by the way I don't have to open these email because I can look at them without opening them.
    I know that there are web pages and companies the make it their money mining this kind of information and I try not to fall into their trap.
    Go here:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/dba...atest/download

Burn to a CD and use this the next time you retire a hard drive...
    paul
    ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
    but you may have to

Or use a sledge hammer.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Last time I had to retire a drive with sensitive information on it we paid a company to do a proper multi pass overwrite and erase and then multi pass degauss while one of our people monitored the whole process. Our guy brought the disks back with him and we destroyed them on site. Somewhere there's a book that lists every drive that was in that system and what happened to them.

Last time I needed to do it at home I did much the same thing myself. Multiple overwrites followed by "aerating" the disk with the drill press. It might be readable by someone, but if they have those kind of tools and are out to target me, I have more problems than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post
    Last time I had to retire a drive with sensitive information on it we paid a company to do a proper multi pass overwrite and erase and then multi pass degauss while one of our people monitored the whole process. Our guy brought the disks back with him and we destroyed them on site. Somewhere there's a book that lists every drive that was in that system and what happened to them.

Last time I needed to do it at home I did much the same thing myself. Multiple overwrites followed by "aerating" the disk with the drill press. It might be readable by someone, but if they have those kind of tools and are out to target me, I have more problems than I thought.
    It's overkill. One pass with random data will make it unrecoverable.

That's not a windows thing, or a partition thing. That's writing from block 0 to the end of the drive. (Linux' "dd")

The "7 passes" thing stemmed from olden drive tech that could cary residual magnetism. Even that was a massive PITA and required an electron microscope to recover.

I believe the US military "secure wipe" involves drilling holes through all platters, squirting in some acid and spinning up the drive.

Oh, and I wouldn't pay a company to do something so trivial!

Businesses sometimes outsource things in order to get an independently verifiable audit trail. I could have done it myself too. But that leaves one person to certify the whole thing from end to end. That's one of the drawbacks to having a single person administer and maintain the databases, OS, hardware and networks. There's no one around to validate claims that things were done by the book.

Dan