Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Spline Adventure Continues.

Default The Spline Adventure Continues.

thanx Yes I also thought In volute , I measured across the Mating gear, It was 1.025 Diameter, at least thats in side the gear at the Largest Diameter of the Spline. It also is a 15 Tooth and has from what I can deduct a 30 degree angles. Now I did look in the Internet for spline tools (expensive) and thought maybe one could be milled from ) 0-1 with a Tapered end mill the right diameter and angle (angle would be probably just relief) Like mill front of tool for Clearance then with tool In vice centralized (Indicated 0 0 ) a Plunge cut on each side to the correct Dimensions, This is some Information Gleaned from a John Stevenson Article. (He was a Good Guy!! ) this is all I have so far, If I had any cad skills I could maybe figure it out better. I was hoping a More Intelligent fella could maybe come up with some sketch of the Tool Needed, Then I could make one from silver steel or 0-1 and try to heat treat it afterwards. I have a oxy propane torch wich works quite well. Thank yoo guys Im in a Lurch with this.

I would be very surprised if it isnt one of the types mentioned in machinerys handbook. Thats the irst place i would look to get a cutter profile.

San Diego, Ca *** Please let us know where you are from too.

Why start another thread when your original thread hasn't even left the front page yet. Just curious.
    John Titor, when are you.

Mike when the second Post came it was a bit different in Topic regarding making possibly a Home Shop Tool to do this Job Correctly. Its all a learning experience for me, a relatively uneducated Fellow in the world of Splines and gears and How to make tooling for them. i find it Interesting as heck. i was hoping a more Knowledgable Fellow would shed some Light on the Tool parameters so I could possibly make one.

having the original parts available is a huge advantage. I would grab a piece of high speed steel and start grinding it to fit the existing splines, regardless of what type they may be. Of course its a good idea to try and figure it out through reference books just in case. I seem to recall that your spline count divides evenly into 360, so that is another huge advantage.

Like I said, I made one before,
    Hand ground my own single point cutter.
    Used 7075 aluminum shaft for it tying to save weight, and accelerate quicker.. I think was the goal..

If you require that exact spline of the Arctic Cat jackshaft on the 1" shaft they are pretty cheap to buy from salvage dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Amick View Post
    Why start another thread when your original thread hasn't even left the front page yet. Just curious.
    Yeah, made absolutely no sense to me. Sounded like you were starting in the middle of something. The
    internet is a big place--we can't always guess what you're thinking...
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    having the original parts available is a huge advantage. I would grab a piece of high speed steel and start grinding it to fit the existing splines, regardless of what type they may be. Of course its a good idea to try and figure it out through reference books just in case. I seem to recall that your spline count divides evenly into 360, so that is another huge advantage.
    This is the only way to go in a home shop unless you have fancy tool grinder setups and measuring equipment.
    No need to worry about what standard it is if you are never able to make the cutter based on print

Thanx Guys? My Original Post Arctic Cat

Thundercat Spline on Jack Shaft. Does any one know anything regarding these? Are they Involute Spline like a 30 degree stub .I dont know much about Splines. I thought first it was a straight 30 degree type but..almost looks a bit .Anyhow any Info would be good. Thanx Guys

My second Post was Inquiring as to the Proper Nomenclature to develop a suitable Cutting Tool in My Shop. I thought I made that Clear enough ?? Apparently Not. I apologize Guys for my communication Problem. If I Had a cad program I could project a Diagram on screen and see what size dia cutter would work. Anyhow thanx appreciate youre Time Mike