Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sort of OT - Nail Guns

A friend of mine is a builder and after using Paslode nail guns for years, he is trying Hitachi battery type. The simple reason why is the nails cost half the price. They use the same nails, but the Paslode nails come with the necessary gas canisters. Maybe NZer's pay too much for Paslode gas refills? But at present they double the price of the consumables required.

But there is a drawback - his guys all complain about the extra weight of the Hitachi's.

BTW, Hitachi is now known as HiKOKI here....

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    *up to 700 nails per-charge* but that's counting the shorter length.I mainly chose the Hitachi because I already had the full Hitachi 18v line.However after using both,the Hitachi has more power and will shoot common full round head nails as opposed to clipped head or offset round(nails are easier to find and cheaper).Also with the 6 ah battery the drive count bumps uo to 750 or so.

https://homefixated.com/dewalt-dcn69...nailer-review/

Neither gun is faster than a pneumatic one,but I'm not doing this commercially and it is nice to just pop a battery and some nails in and go to work not needing a compressor or hose.
    It seems I was mis-advised there, but i'm damned surprised to find it's as few as 700.

I worked with a guy who ran dewalts, and I'm sure he wasn't charging that often, and we'd shoot through a box in a day quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    A friend of mine is a builder and after using Paslode nail guns for years, he is trying Hitachi battery type. The simple reason why is the nails cost half the price. They use the same nails, but the Paslode nails come with the necessary gas canisters. Maybe NZer's pay too much for Paslode gas refills? But at present they double the price of the consumables required.here....
    Who cares? the client pays.

Gas isn't THAT expensive. It does add to the cost, but not double.
    It might void the warranty in a paslode, but I use Senco gas/pins no drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    A friend of mine is a builder and after using Paslode nail guns for years, he is trying Hitachi battery type. The simple reason why is the nails cost half the price. They use the same nails, but the Paslode nails come with the necessary gas canisters. Maybe NZer's pay too much for Paslode gas refills? But at present they double the price of the consumables required.

But there is a drawback - his guys all complain about the extra weight of the Hitachi's.

BTW, Hitachi is now known as HiKOKI here....
    Yes,they are going through a name change here as well,"Metabo HTP" or some such.

The Hitachi is heavier,but the trend will be going towards battery nailers and away from gas activated.Already used Paslode guns are near worthless on the market,nobody wants the added expense and hassle.

I don't see much difference in weight between an air nailer with hose and the Hitachi though,but that may just be me.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by mihit View Post
    It seems I was mis-advised there, but i'm damned surprised to find it's as few as 700.

I worked with a guy who ran dewalts, and I'm sure he wasn't charging that often, and we'd shoot through a box in a day quite easily.
    It depends greatly on how hard the wood the nail is being driven into is.If nailing white wood aka Spruce,White Pine,Ponderosa you might get as many as 850-900.Southern Yellow Pine or Doug Fir maybe not even 600.This on a 6ah battery.IIRC the mfg's claims are based on a 3ah battery.

I'm not sure why really,I don't know if some of the stored energy is leftover after driving ,or if the tool varies the stroke somehow.
    Last edited by wierdscience; 01-09-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I want to thank everyone for your input. I haven't made any decisions yet, but now I have a lot more knowledge to base that decision on.

Quote Originally Posted by michigan doug View Post
    I have a cheap imported brad nailer. Works great.
    I did shoot myself in the knee with a pneumatic nailer when I was young and stupid 35 years ago. Luckily it went in just next to the patella and into the synovial space. I pulled it with my handy estwing framing hammer and came out lucky and good looking. It took three yanks. It was in there pretty good.

Glad to hear you only did it once! But I'm with you about the cheap imports. I've been happy with my H-F air finish guns. Cheap, light, dependable.

I've used Paslodes, but don't like them particularly. Get a real one. When I used to frame houses, we'd use Senco. Since then, Senco quality has declined, lots more plastic parts. My framing and finish nailers are Hitachi which are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
    As part of SWMBO's gift of remodeling the shop, I am putting vinyl siding outside, a little new framing inside, OSB on the framing inside, and nailing OSB to new rafters. Eventually I might put new shingles on the roof. It seems like a nail gun might be handy.

My total knowledge of nail guns is ZIP.

Can all of those jobs be handled by a single nail gun?
    Do I need one gun for framing, one for roofing, and one for the OSB?
    Can I get away with a cheap nail gun if I don't plan on doing construction for a living, or will a cheap one break before the sort of list of projects given above?
    Whats this stuff about coils, cartridges, packs, etc?
    Should I just rent one?
    You really need different nail guns for brads, staples, finish nailing, framing, roofing, etc. Once you learn how to use a nail gun, you won't want to be without one again. They are also very cheap and can operate on small compressors which make taking them to job sites with a small portable compressor a breeze. I love them. Here is my collection of nail/staple/brad guns:

Work hard play hard

On vinyl siding habd nail in the center of the slot & not touching the siding. Each pc of siding much move or it will oil cn in the sun. On osb roofs & sidewall use large tubes of drywall adhesive( same as construction adhesive only cheaper) then either nail with a framing nailer or screw & you make thentire structue one pc. Use clips on the roof to space for expansion. Read the shingle package & nail in the right place & don't high nail or they won't deal, also use the extra nail it days to use in hurricane locations. Install the shingles like the package says & don't "rack" them like the roofers do or you'll see it. Also use an extra row of Ice & Waterschield, my whole roof is covered with Grace Ice & water schield. Don't use gutters unless you have to. Use treated facia 2x. If a house is built right it won't need gutters. Do these extras & you'll never have a problem. I sold a church 300+ squares of shingles & they high nailed them all & replaced them all. Never use WD40 to lube any air tools, use air tool oil. Have fun!
    Last edited by flylo; 01-13-2019 at 10:56 PM.
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison