Thread: Dragged Away From the Shop

Default Dragged Away From the Shop

Yesterday afternoon my wife dragged me over to a friend's house to help value some tools for a garage sale. I didn't want to go, but every once in a while you have to give. LOL. No really. I have so much work to do I was going to work all weekend. On the way in my wife told me the lady's husband had died and she needed some helping pricing tools because she was selling everything and moving to a smaller house and here husband hadn't left a life insurance policy or much of a nest egg.

When I walked into his shop/shed I was impressed. First off she had everything sorted out pretty well and had a cabinet and rollaway tool chest of decent tools she had set aside that she was keeping. There was an amazingly complete Shopsmith in the corner in dusty, but otherwise outstandingly excellent condition. Thankfully she said I didn't have to price that because her son was taking it. She'd said she had a table saw before when I'd chatted with her at some meeting or another, but I was very pleasantly surprised to see it was a very nice Powermatic with ALL the accessories you could imagine. In one corner of the shop there were a half dozen miter sleds with rails to go on it. Very nice condition. I'd say bordering on excellent. On the other side of a shelf was a Powermatic floor standing jointer planer. It went like that as I circled the shop. Not everything was top notch, but there was a lot of top notch stuff. I looked up new price on most thing as well as asking price and complete sale price on Ebay, and gave my own opinion on condition. She even had two really nice scroll saws. Large ones with deep throats. Both listed new for around $1200 when I looked them up.

I'm not really a wood worker, but I did have a hard time not making offers on some of the equipment. Instead we went around the room and valued everything. What it might be worth to the right buyer and what the average garage sale bargain hunter might offer. A lot of it I told her if you don't get atleast ($xxxx) for it don't sell it at your garage sale. List it on Craigslist or on Ebay. A couple things really surprised me. One was a back saw with a brass back and the name of the company etched on the face of the blade. I looked it up and found asking prices for the same or similar saws at $75 to 135 dollars. I think if we hadn't looked it up she would have slapped a $10 sticker on it and taken $5 at her garage sale. She has a tool dealer selling one line of specialty limited release tools (I forget the name) and I told her to ask him about the saw before she did anything else.

I was good though. I didn't offer to buy a bunch of it and low ball the value. I tried to give here a good range to ask and a reasonable offer to accept. I suggested she ask anybody who made an offer a little lower than she wanted to accept to take their phone and offer to call them if the item doesn't sell.

I did ask "How Much" once and quickly realized I better not do that again. She said you can have that as a consultants fee for helping me out. I'm after a good deal like anybody, but I try not to take advantage of anybody either. Certainly not a widow who is selling here husbands tools to help bridge the gap. The "How Much" was for 3 pairs of locking pliers. One was a USA made genuine ViseGrip. The other two were noname, but they were stamped Taiwan. Not China. I don't use locking pliers much, but it seems like when I need one I need two or three. Mine always seem to not be where they are supposed to be when I need them. I did buy one thing. A set of Chinese angle blocks. Nothing special and I offered more than I would at any other garage sale, but they were in unused condition and I need some anyway. My wife also bought a couple of interesting measuring templates. I'll post pictures of those if I can find where she hid them from me. LOL.

*** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

*** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Are the templates used by draughtsmen? What fine pointed instrument is used with them?

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    Are the templates used by draughtsmen? What fine pointed instrument is used with them?
    The were labeled INCRA so I would suspect they are market towards wood workers. My wife is more of a wood worker than I am and she does a pretty nice job of making and fitting up cabinet doors. For a hobby she makes dollhouses.

Yup, I have the same INCRA rules in my wood shop. Also got a really nice INCRA miter gauge for my table saw.
    Work hard play hard

I think they do a special pen for those INCRA templates. I get occasional adverts for them pushed into my email and always get tempted until I see the price. They do a lot of other nice stuff but out of my price range. Much of it is available in knock-off versions but just wouldn't have the feel.
    It's good that there are some decent guys around to help protect a homeshop guy's family from the unscrupulous garage traders.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    I think they do a special pen for those INCRA templates. I get occasional adverts for them pushed into my email and always get tempted until I see the price. They do a lot of other nice stuff but out of my price range. Much of it is available in knock-off versions but just wouldn't have the feel.
    It's good that there are some decent guys around to help protect a homeshop guy's family from the unscrupulous garage traders.
    A mechanical pencil works great with them.
    Work hard play hard

I have the same Incra rules. They are designed for 0.5mm mechanical pencil. They came with a cheap one in the set.
    Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
    Specialty products for beating dead horses.

yep... I have them also. Great for layout, metal or wood.

Kudos for helping and not taking advantage. I know it had to be tempting.

How do you determine reasonable selling prices? I go from half of new price and tweak with condition. But I don't think I'm very good at it.
    Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.