Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: McMaster Cut Me Off

I've never known or heard of any company explicitly severing relations with a customer, though it's probably happened in isolated, extreme (and perhaps justified) situations, but NOT simply because a customer complained about something. That's ludicrous!

I think we're all waiting, as Paul Harvey would say, for the rest of this story.

Quote Originally Posted by true temper View Post
    Years ago I needed some 1/8”pipe plugs. Called McMaster they said we will send them right out, asked for a billing address. Sent me a bill in the mail AND a catalog. Never done business with them before. But I have bought from them since.
    I can remember trying to get a catalog from them back in the 90's prior to them having a well organized and easy to navigate web site. It was next to impossible. They must have sent it to you by mistake.

JL..............

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    I can remember trying to get a catalog from them back in the 90's prior to them having a well organized and easy to navigate web site. It was next to impossible. They must have sent it to you by mistake.

JL..............
    I had the same experience at work,nearly impossible to get a catalog,we had also put in two different credit applications for an open acount with not much movement.Then oneday I called in an order and god must have answered the phone.I went to pay for the order with a CC since we still didn't have an account.The guy on the phone says,"oh,wait,I see you guys applied for an open account?" I told him yes we had,but I didn't think it had ever gone through.He told me to wait one minute whle he looked up the application,then came back about 20 seconds later and said-"you have an open account now".The order showed up the following day along with a brand spanking new catalog #90
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnl View Post
    I've never known or heard of any company explicitly severing relations with a customer, though it's probably happened in isolated, extreme (and perhaps justified) situations...
    I worked at a place where the boss would do this to about 10% of the customers every year. Not rudely like this though. It was a strategy to keep the business moving forward by focusing on the most important customers. This was for custom software development which is very labor intensive.

Quote Originally Posted by pinstripe View Post
    This was for custom software development which is very labor intensive.
    Yup. The most significant bit weights are incredibly heavy now
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    I had the same experience at work,nearly impossible to get a catalog,we had also put in two different credit applications for an open acount with not much movement.Then oneday I called in an order and god must have answered the phone.I went to pay for the order with a CC since we still didn't have an account.The guy on the phone says,"oh,wait,I see you guys applied for an open account?" I told him yes we had,but I didn't think it had ever gone through.He told me to wait one minute whle he looked up the application,then came back about 20 seconds later and said-"you have an open account now".The order showed up the following day along with a brand spanking new catalog #90
    When I first started doing business with them back in the early 90's I always paid by credit card. Can't remember how long I used that payment method for.
    Then one day I called to place an order and the sales person said we'll get that right out for you and never asked me for my credit card info. I figured with computers becoming more popular they had it on file.
    The order arrived the next day or so and a few days later an invoice arrived in the mail which I paid promptly as always. From that day on it was open account. I never applied for it.

JL............

First, I run a commercial cleaning business, did lots of industrial, saw lots of MC catalogs in trash, still in mailing boxes. First order I placed for repair parts, they asked me if I wanted a catalog. I told them about all the catalogs I saw in the trash, and if I needed one I'd grab one of those. The guy chuckled, said the problem was trying to find the right person to get the catalog to. Have always used online catalog, never needed the book. Worst company is a cardboard box and packaging company, they'd send a dozen catalogs to a three man office. My employees would know as soon as they lifted the trash cans.

I really hope you do call and find out if the call you received was legit. I've not really had any issues with McMaster although I don't care for the way things are multi packaged sometimes. There are a lot of individual things I buy from McMaster, but only a few I buy repeatedly. Usually when I need it now.

Don't limit yourself though. MSC isn't bad once you setup an account and explain you are an old Enco customer (if you really were). I actively dislike Grainger with a passion, but their e-tail store (Zoro) also once in a while is the deal and they do have a lot of stuff. Sometimes stuff other's don't have.

I used to like Reid Supply, but since they were absorbed by or morphed into Essentra I'm not so impressed.

Carr-Lane is another but they are old school distribution oriented. If they don't have a local dealer in your area who will work for your business you are only going to get stuff at list price. They are per store too. Not per chain.

I work at finding alternatives for everything. The only thing more dangerous than being dependent on a single vendor is being dependent on a single customer.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Just call them and get the straight poop.

Quote Originally Posted by softtail View Post
    Just call them and get the straight poop.
    Why, isn't vacuous speculation more fun?
    Work hard play hard