Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: McMaster Cut Me Off

I have had nothing but good experiences form them. Sometimes I don't order for months, other times every couple of weeks. One time I bought a combination lock and it didn't work, called, they sent another no questions. Always have been pleasant and helpful if I needed help, or had a question on the product. I would call cust. ser. and get it straightened out. Please let us know how it goes. If only the country was run with the efficiency of MMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    I really hope you do call and find out if the call you received was legit. I've not really had any issues with McMaster although I don't care for the way things are multi packaged sometimes. There are a lot of individual things I buy from McMaster, but only a few I buy repeatedly. Usually when I need it now.

Don't limit yourself though. MSC isn't bad once you setup an account and explain you are an old Enco customer (if you really were). I actively dislike Grainger with a passion, but their e-tail store (Zoro) also once in a while is the deal and they do have a lot of stuff. Sometimes stuff other's don't have.

I used to like Reid Supply, but since they were absorbed by or morphed into Essentra I'm not so impressed.

Carr-Lane is another but they are old school distribution oriented. If they don't have a local dealer in your area who will work for your business you are only going to get stuff at list price. They are per store too. Not per chain.

I work at finding alternatives for everything. The only thing more dangerous than being dependent on a single vendor is being dependent on a single customer.
    I do believe the call I received was legit because the person that called me had knowledge of my purchase history etc. So I doubt it was a competitor. A disgruntled employee, possibly, but why me? I'm more inclined to believe that it was some new employee hired to review accounts for what ever reason and is trying to make a name for himself. He was very unprofessional as far as the way he handled himself on the phone.
    I have thought about calling but I would need to talk to someone higher up the chain other than a sales person that would answer the call and I don't know who that would be or if I would even be able to get in touch with such a person.

JL...............

I'd still give them a call to see if they truly don't value your money anymore.
    I just can't see any business actually taking the time to pick the pennies up off the ground when there are probably dollars hanging off of other trees, if they really are looking to trim costs/gain efficiency.

Just ask for customer service. Can't hurt.
    Plus, it will put all of our collective, imaginative minds at ease!!

Thanks, Sid

Ask for a customer service SUPERVISOR. When they try to ask why tell them, "Because only a supervisor can address my issue." If they demand to know what problem is first say, "The problem is I am being blocked from talking to a supervisor, and only talking to a supervisor will solve my problem." Be calm and stubbornly repeat yourself if necessary.
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 01-08-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Getting ready to place an online order with them now.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    When I first started doing business with them back in the early 90's I always paid by credit card. Can't remember how long I used that payment method for.
    Then one day I called to place an order and the sales person said we'll get that right out for you and never asked me for my credit card info. I figured with computers becoming more popular they had it on file.
    The order arrived the next day or so and a few days later an invoice arrived in the mail which I paid promptly as always. From that day on it was open account. I never applied for it.

JL............
    I had a similar experience. After I retired from the big shop where I spent almost 30 years, I decided to open a small one man shop at home. I had a nice building and a few machines, and bought more. I called McMaster to set up an account and request a catalog. I had gotten their number from an old catalog from work. This was in the fall of 1994. The guy on the other end was rude and told me they don't send out catalogs to just everyone and basically hung up on me. I then called MSC and asked the same thing. They were very nice and set me up with an account and sent me their big book. I still do business with them. For about 20 years, I would do from $2000.00 to $5000.00 dollars with them each year.. Although their shipping has gotten pricey, they were great to do business with. As far as I am concerned, McMaster can jump in the river.
    Sarge41

Quote Originally Posted by sarge41 View Post
    I had a similar experience. After I retired from the big shop where I spent almost 30 years, I decided to open a small one man shop at home. I had a nice building and a few machines, and bought more. I called McMaster to set up an account and request a catalog. I had gotten their number from an old catalog from work. This was in the fall of 1994. The guy on the other end was rude and told me they don't send out catalogs to just everyone and basically hung up on me. I then called MSC and asked the same thing. They were very nice and set me up with an account and sent me their big book. I still do business with them. For about 20 years, I would do from $2000.00 to $5000.00 dollars with them each year.. Although their shipping has gotten pricey, they were great to do business with. As far as I am concerned, McMaster can jump in the river.
    Sarge41
    I almost never pay freight from MSC unless I need it overnight. I even sometimes buy 6' pieces of metal from them when my local vendor is out of stock on a size I need. I order everything from the website though, and I always make sure I am logged on first. I only ever call if there is a problem. Believe it or not that's pretty rare. Using the website gives me the advantage of knowing if an item is in stock and in which warehouse. I try to make sure all my items are instock in my closest distribution warehouse. The only real problem I have is when I order stuff that is not in stock with stuff that is in stock. MY CC almost always rejects the charge on the shipped and charge later items. Then the first I hear of it is a collections letter from MSC. I do find that highly annoying as I try to pay at time of purchase on all day to day stuff to keep my book keeping simpler.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

MSC has gotten much better over the years. I've been buying from them as long as I've been buying from McMaster. Most all the orders I place with MSC are shipped free. Over $50 maybe. I never set up an account with them. Used to pay by credit card in the 90's. Somewhere over the years they just started sending my orders on an open account.
    I've always paid promptly. Had a few defective items that had to be returned over the years but no issues.

JL..............

Quote Originally Posted by sarge41 View Post
    Sarge41
    Not to pick on your or anything, but I'm glad this worked out for you. However, the long term health of the industry requires that you tell the boss when they are not performing. If I had a bad employee, or a website issue, as the owner I want to know.

OP, send a letter to the board of directors, that will get their attention.

I've been slacking on getting in touch with Turtle Wax. Been using their products since the 60's, but as of late they are having issues. I'm not out for samples or free stuff, I just want them to fix their product. They may not know there is an issue.

Until the OP contacts Mcmaster, gets the straight story, and reports back here with some facts this is just bs blowing in the breeze. Two guys have a problem with Mcmaster and how many don't?