Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buck chuck in search of ID hard jaws.

Default Buck chuck in search of ID hard jaws.

Hoping someone can help me here not sure what to do I bought a nice older buck 5 inch adjust tru and it came with OD jaws no ID me being green and semi new at this I saw a nice chuck and bought it not realizing it would be useless for me without the appropriate jaws Iím hoping someone has a set laying around they would be willing to sell or can cross reference me some that would possibly work. Itís a buck 2534 5 inch adjust tru going on a old Clausing mrk3 Iíve been working on for some time now hopefully someone can help so I donít have a paperweight. The jaws are 1 piece also.

Do you need inside jaws or outside jaws? Inside jaws are what you normally see on a chuck for holding smaller bar stock. Outside jaws for reaching out wide to hold larger diameter parts.

Also, put up some dimensions of the jaws you have. Tooth pitch, slot width, total width - stuff like that. I have a box of unidentified jaws and only those dimensions would let me check them.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

I need inside jaws I will put up dimensions around lunch thank you.

You could probably buy a set from Buck. You'd want to be sitting down when you hear their price.

I have two of the 5" Buck chucks, only one set of the jawa you need though. I've been looking for years with no success for the missing set.

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    You could probably buy a set from Buck. You'd want to be sitting down when you hear their price.

I have two of the 5" Buck chucks, only one set of the jawa you need though. I've been looking for years with no success for the missing set.
    Buck won’t even sell you a set because of there new line of chuck they quit servicing the old ones.

There are lots of jaws for sale on ebay, but since every manufacturer made chucks with no common parts, its difficult to find the right ones. Some people don't even know how to measure the scroll pitch.
    I bought a new Chinese 160mm three jaw from a company which was upgrading the lathes they sold to include Bison chucks. It was cheap because they had lost the outside jaws. I have had no luck after years of looking for a set, although I had no problem getting soft jaws.
    Maybe you would find it easier to get hold of some soft jaws for your Buck and make them into inside style. If the tips started to wear, then a small skim would restore them to perfection.

Well I got lucky and this was a Hardinge chuck called them up and they had a set in stock for it for less then a cheap three jaw chuck.

Good result, you got very lucky.

Back in the day Buck Chuck was about the most popular chuck. Over the years a lot of Buck jaws have gone orphan. I ended up w/ a couple of Buck chucks missing a jaw set. I took them up to the local machinery dealer in Baltimore. They had a box and a five gallon bucket of jaws. So I spent some time looking thru everything and was able to put together sets of missing jaws.

Yea they weren't the OE, ground in place jaws. But they were better than what I (didn't) have before.

They wanted a pretty hefty price for the jaws, 1/2 the cost of jaws listed in the MSC book, when I went to check out. I countered that I spent the time getting dirty, looking through a pile of jaws that they would just end up eventually sending to the scrapper. And it was no effort on their part. I counter-offered a more favorable price and said that was the best I'd do. They agreed, and we made the deal.

I'm sure most machinery dealers have that bucket of jaws in the back.

For anyone who should find this thread with a Buck chuck.. There are two versions of the company Buck now. The old Buck and the new Buck. The old Buck is still in Kalamazoo Michigan. When calling for parts and what not, make sure you talk to the right place.

I've been meaning to post an R&R project on a 12" 6 jaw set-tru I got at auction last year (along with a 4 jaw Horton) for my L1 mount Lodge & Shipley. Oh, it's a sweet chuck, and seems unused. Got it for a song, with both sets of jaws.

The jaws were a bit sticky and I removed them via disassembly rather than forcing with the scroll. I called Buck for advice on how to remove them, and how to lube. They were very helpful. What a treat to get support from a US company, still operating in your own state.

The chuck weighs 119 lbs with mounting plate and has a has a 1300 rpm limit - if holding at a depth of 3 jaw teeth or better. The chuck was made in 1966 and sold for $496 at the time+$66 for the mount. In 2018 dollars that is $4291!