Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Shop and the Hereafter??

Default Your Shop and the Hereafter??

After reading Bob's post on "Dragged Away From The Shop" where he help a widow sell her husband's tools, It got me thinking about my wife and what she's going to face. So what are your plans for your shop when you're gone?
    p.s. I hope it's not soon!

Thats simple; ain't my problem my boys are now in charge and pay the bills.

All us down under blokes are waiting for Tiffee to drop. His machines will all be a bit faded, due to the flash photo's, but otherwise unused.

I've been thinking about this. My approach is to leave an orderly shop. Tooling for a particular machine all in one place and labeled as such for example. Go thru material scraps and get rid of much of it and identify the rest as much as possible.

Also, give away stuff now to those who can use it. Younger generation if you can. Far better to do this than have it thrown in the dumpster or scrap value after I pass.

I have a couple older cars. Long term projects have accumulated lots of car parts. A lot of it is nearly worthless. Old wiring harness I saved for parts for example. There are some high dollar NOS parts. These need to be clearly identified so they don't get trashed. Best bet is to get the projects done and the parts on the cars. Have something to show for it.

One of my two sons has some interest so hopefully my shop will live on. Who knows where he will be in life when that time comes. Best I can do is make it as easy for them as I can.

I have a bunch of "stuff". Some of it is quite valuable to almost anyone. Some of it not so much.

None of it will be mine, when I am gone. Then it will belong to someone else.

I do not concern myself with what other people do with their "stuff".

If the folks that will own it, when I am gone, have some questions about my "stuff", now is the time for them to ask me. That doesn't seem to be a priority for them. Oh, well.

Note: We do not have any children and my wife knows all she needs to know about the "stuff".

I have no one to leave it to so I suppose the vultures will descend the minute my body is cold, fly off with everything and sell it all for two cents on the dollar, but I will be past caring about it. A person never really owns anything anyway. We only lease stuff. The lease runs out the minute we close our eyes.

Yea, I don't care about the stuff after I pass. But I would like to preserve as much value as I can for my sons to do with what they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Machtool View Post
    All us down under blokes are waiting for Tiffee to drop. His machines will all be a bit faded, due to the flash photo's, but otherwise unused.
    LOL, That's funny. It happens in the Northern Hemisphere too.

My son gets everything.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by Machtool View Post
    Fat chance of that happening. He already binned some items too heavy for him to lift and said instructions are to bin all the rest.