Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Shop and the Hereafter??

I don't have a problem as all the goodies I buy are donated to the museum where I get to use the machines as a volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    I don't have a problem as all the goodies I buy are donated to the museum where I get to use the machines as a volunteer.
    I have no worries, my partner, her neice, my children and a couple of good friends all know what I have and they have pretty well decided on who will take what, if there is anything they do not want they will sell whatever is left to fellow enthuiasts. I have already begun to give some extra items away , or sell them at nominal prices to friends ,and , so far. they seem to be fully appreciated. Regards David Powell'

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    Now that's a really good idea!
    I wish we had a museum or school where I live.
    Bill
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

I don't have any family that would want it. I am leaving the estate to a friend who is a little younger and has a flock of kids, some of which are looking like they might be mechanics. My girlfriend will have the use of the house and benefit of my finances for as long as she wants to live in the house and needs the $$. That is if she outlives me. You never know how things will work out.

It's all about minimizing agony on those still around. A simple itemized list preferably with pics with approximate values is all that is needed, and a few names of who to call and where to advertise if it doesn't stay in family.

"Nichols miller. sell to 3PLB on machinist forum for $5,000 he pays freight".

A couple of pieces are going to younger friends with shops if I go early enough. I hadn't thought about the rest. I like the idea of donating it to the local museums that are centered on mechanical work. There's two of them which could either use the machines and other goodies directly or that could put them up for sale and use the money for other related work. One of them is an aircraft museum which hits pretty strongly with my heart and interests. So good idea there thanks to you folks. Donating like that would also take away a huge amount of concern to the executor in terms of how my "stuff" gets moved away.

The hope is that if I don't actually snuff it prematurely but simply wear down and move on to a place where they strain my Pablum for me that I'm going to try to list the house with a turn key wood and machine shop. And oh my would I like to be a fly on the wall when the prospective shoppers see the basement and garage. I very much leaned on the lyrics of the Sinatra song and "did it my way" with the dream workshop setups. Otherwise I'll likely have to give a few bits and bobs away to the two buddies that can use it for a while thanks to being somewhat younger than I am or I'll give it all away early to those two museums. Otherwise it'll be one heck of a yard sale ! ! ! !

Hi,

I'll be dead and won't care what happens. They can toss it all in a hole for all I care. Used machine tools are a very bad investment to leave for your family as financial security. 400 acres of farm land will cover that part for my wife and now adult children. Used machines have little value and are more hassle than they are worth even with clear instructions. You want to make it easy on your family, get rid of it all before you die. I've been handing out some items already in an effort to declutter and simplify my life. It feels good to do so.

I might have one Son-in-law that might have an interest in my machines, but my kids will figure it out with out my help.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

This thread, and the recent scare involving the Great Lump of Stupid (Brain Cancer)has changed my perspective. The problem of disbursing my tools and machinery seems insurmountable. Instead, I have resolved to focus on not compounding the problem. No more additional tools and tooling only to replace what I wear out or break and expect to need sooner than later.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Hopefully I can make it to an age where my kids (and hopefully grand kids) get to spend lots of time with me using the stuff and building things with me to develop some memories. They can then decide what items they want to keep based on sentimental value or usefulness to them, and the rest will just be a big farm auction. Wife's pretty smart, she'll figure it out. None of it on it's own is of any great value as I do my best to make diamonds in my wallet, so whatever "losses" that arise from the auction process will be a wash with the relief of getting it all over with. There's not much there that's been bought new, and what has, has long paid for itself. She can take what ever money that comes from getting rid of it, and enjoy spending it whatever way she wants.

If I go first everything, everything, will become the property of my dear widow and of course she can make whatever decisions suits her. If she finds some fellow to step into my boots and play with my toys I would be very pleased for her.

Otherwise she can get my friends in from the museum to clear out where she indicates and leave the space(s) fit for sale.