Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Shop and the Hereafter??

Hybrid View

Default Your Shop and the Hereafter??

After reading Bob's post on "Dragged Away From The Shop" where he help a widow sell her husband's tools, It got me thinking about my wife and what she's going to face. So what are your plans for your shop when you're gone?
    p.s. I hope it's not soon!

Thats simple; ain't my problem my boys are now in charge and pay the bills.

All us down under blokes are waiting for Tiffee to drop. His machines will all be a bit faded, due to the flash photo's, but otherwise unused.

Quote Originally Posted by Machtool View Post
    All us down under blokes are waiting for Tiffee to drop. His machines will all be a bit faded, due to the flash photo's, but otherwise unused.
    LOL, That's funny. It happens in the Northern Hemisphere too.

My son gets everything.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by Machtool View Post
    Fat chance of that happening. He already binned some items too heavy for him to lift and said instructions are to bin all the rest.

I don't have a problem as all the goodies I buy are donated to the museum where I get to use the machines as a volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    I don't have a problem as all the goodies I buy are donated to the museum where I get to use the machines as a volunteer.
    I have no worries, my partner, her neice, my children and a couple of good friends all know what I have and they have pretty well decided on who will take what, if there is anything they do not want they will sell whatever is left to fellow enthuiasts. I have already begun to give some extra items away , or sell them at nominal prices to friends ,and , so far. they seem to be fully appreciated. Regards David Powell'

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    Now that's a really good idea!
    I wish we had a museum or school where I live.
    Bill
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

I've been thinking about this. My approach is to leave an orderly shop. Tooling for a particular machine all in one place and labeled as such for example. Go thru material scraps and get rid of much of it and identify the rest as much as possible.

Also, give away stuff now to those who can use it. Younger generation if you can. Far better to do this than have it thrown in the dumpster or scrap value after I pass.

I have a couple older cars. Long term projects have accumulated lots of car parts. A lot of it is nearly worthless. Old wiring harness I saved for parts for example. There are some high dollar NOS parts. These need to be clearly identified so they don't get trashed. Best bet is to get the projects done and the parts on the cars. Have something to show for it.

One of my two sons has some interest so hopefully my shop will live on. Who knows where he will be in life when that time comes. Best I can do is make it as easy for them as I can.