Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Your Shop and the Hereafter??

Sigh. I'd like to relate my view of what happens to estates, wheteher they are shops, china collections, whatever. I worked at the local garbage company here, for 35 years. I worked in the shop, fixing the garbage wagons. Not on the front line, so to speak, I nevertheless saw the aftermath of settling estates, moving grandma to the nursing home, getting the old place ready for market, etc. So, sometimes it goes like this: Elders vacate their home, for whatever reason. The relatives come to sort it all out. They cherry pick what they can, given how much room and time they have. Or, what they can get on the airplane, or in the trunk of their car. All too often, they call the local hauler for a 30 yard drop box and the rest goes in the landfill. The drivers will grab something from time to time, if they can. One was kind enough to pass a 7", 8", 9", Browne and Sharp micrometer(s) to me. Another time a driver brought in 6 guns, filson tin coat and pants, wool hunting clothes, fly tying stuff and a nice toolbox with good stuff in it. All this was passed out to fellow employees. But I was sad to think someone put a man's valued possesions in a dumpster. I know he didn't need them where he was going, but I think it would have made him sad that no one bothered to save his stuff for somebody. There are more, but I trust you get the idea.

My wife and I have very few, soon to be no relatives here in state. Daughter lives about 6 hours north. She and son in law are far from stupid, and are well aware of the value of things. But they're working long hours in demanding jobs. How much time can they get to sort out my stuff? What will they do with my 6 coffee cans of pipe fittings? Or, for that matter, my Bridgeport? And everything inbetween? And what about the family heirlooms my wife has from our folks, and grandparents?

I have put tags on a few things that have history, like the shotgun my grandfather shot at trapshoots before WW2. I have all my machinery manuals in a couple notebooks, suitably marked. I have a long way to go sorting the stuff I'll never use for disposal.

As long as you don't crap the bed who cares, try not to crap the bed when you die cuz that would be really embarrassing, other than that - the bro's will get my stuff and iv roughly stated who gets what BUT, im the youngest and by the time i "kack" i don't think they will be ready and able to take up a new hobby IF they do outlive me,,,

so kinda thinking about leaving it all to an animal help group, same with the house - I don't like people much at all and really don't want to help them out a whole lot cuz they will just reproduce and mess things up even more, so I don't know - either that or leave it to some kind of group that's researching how to sterilize the human race without harming anyone, I think that would be money well spent and benefit most all deserving creatures on the planet... not to mention the planet itself...

it will all work out but id like to have my hand in something big like that in the end

I’m hoping to play in my shop for another 40 years. Although planning a major upgrade when the kids are done with school and leave the nest.
    Work hard play hard

I'm only 37, I could die tomorrow though. I should probably write down the values of the major machines so they can get their fair shares worth out of them.

When I kick the Bucket my wife will Auction all my Shop Stuff,I have no one in family that would want it.I have quite a few freinds and neighbors that have their names on some of the larger Items,Dam Vultures.A lot of Farmers in my area are building pretty impressive shops and are allways looking for Metal working Machines.

This is what I want my new shop space to look like

Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post

Yeah... that's the dream

Reality, on the other hand, would end up something like this, but less organised.

I'd give myself about 2 years to get from A to B. Sigh...

That much floor space... I'd need a whole fleet of Roomba's. No way I'd get around to sweeping it.

Oh, wait... you're the one with all the drawer cabinets and label maker... you might be able to handle it

David...

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post

Is that heaven?

Already told wife to call a local auctioneer, they will do the advertising and get the most for my stuff. The cut they take is worth relieving the wife from having to deal with it. Have been to a few estate auctions and it's unreel what some items sell for, in some cases more than the same thing can be bought retail.

In my will, I have left 6 or 7 either homemade or special machines to my two boys. I have instructed my wife to call an auctioneer and the day after the auction, the 30 x 64 two story shop will be ready to be cleaned and painted. There is a lot of value to me (hopefully, I can use it for 20+ more years) but for the rest of the world - who knows. Most of the newer generation doesn't really care about making stuff. I also think the muscle car market will disappear in the near future. I work for a mold making shop, and very hard if not impossible to get young people that want to work.